Diploma in International Development Studies
Africa Center for Project Management is pleased to announce a Diploma Course in International Development Studies Online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month.
Africa Center for Project Management was established in 2004 in Amsterdam with the Africa regional offices in Nairobi.The organization was corporate organizations in Africa and Asia by offering Online ccertificates and In-House trainings. The organization has over ten years experience working with development partners in capacity building in. We have trained over 5000 development and Business Professionals in various thematic areas.
Overall Course Overview:
If you are preparing to work in the field of international development, you need to acquire the knowledge, skills and contacts to function effectively in what may be unfamiliar or challenging circumstances. This interdisciplinary training course offered by Africa Center for Project Management places particular focus on socio-economic development issues of concern to the developing African countries such as poverty, conflicts, governance, security ,human rights, climate change and global inequality.
This course accords students an opportunity to examine development processes, interventions, theories, policies and government structures in the global arena. It is expected that the student, after having completed the course, will be able to better understand a number of salient issues in the developing world. The student is expected to be able to apply concepts learned in class to the analysis of important issues in development studies. The course is structured around some key questions including:
• What does “development” mean and does it mean different things to different peoples and cultures?
• How has the historical experience of development influenced theories of development?
• What is the role of the state in development? Has this changed over time and why?
• What role do international development organizations play in development?
• Why are non-governmental organizations (NGOs) increasingly important development actors? What are the limits on the NGO role in development?
• How and why does being a woman change your life-chances and roles in the developing world?
• How and why does being an indigenous person change your life-chances and roles in the developing world?
• Is foreign aid effective?
• What is sustainable development and how can it be achieved?
Furthermore, it is hoped that the student will reflect on ethical issues behind his or her personal commitment to development studies, and indeed, the endeavor of “development” itself. Why do we commit ourselves to practicing economic development? What right do we have to impose development on the Third World? Do these “others” even want to be “developed”? Is it even possible to practice development in a way that is respectful of local knowledge, cultures and diverse individual aspirations?
1. Introduction to International Development Studies
2. What is Development?
3. Theories of Development?
4. Gender & Development
5. The State and Development
6. Foreign Aid and Millennium Development Goals/ Sustainable Development Goals
7. Free trade & Fair Trade
8. Environment and Development
9. Sustainable Development
This module is designed specifically for development and health organizations.
There are four assignments(continuous assessment tests),research paper and one examination to be offered at the end of the course. Assignments account for 40%,research paper counnts for 30% while Examination accounts for 30% of the mark. Upon completion of the course you shall be issued with a Diploma Certificate and a course transcript.
Certificate and Transcripts will be sent after successful completion of the course.
DURATION AND COURSE LOAD: 24 Weeks – 5 to 6 hours per week
DATES: (Six Months) Course Starts 1st of Every Month.
PARTICIPANTS: Development Professionals
REGIONS TARGETED: Global
COURSE FEE: $800
ORGANIZERS: Africa Center for Project Management
LANGUAGE: English only
FORMAT: Web-based and Distance Learning facilitated
GENERAL COURSE CONTACT:email@example.com