Location: Maban County, Upper Nile State — South Sudan
Application Closing Date: 3 July 2019
Date of incorporation: August 2019
Position opened to: International candidates
Salary Range & Benefits: To be discussed with successful candidate
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is a Catholic international humanitarian organization with a mission to accompany, serve and defend the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. JRS has a priority to work wherever the needs of displaced people are urgent and offers a human service to refugees and their communities through a wide range of rehabilitation and relief activities. JRS is currently working in over 50 countries throughout the world.
Since its establishment in 2013, JRS Maban has been serving refugees and the host community living in Maban County, South Sudan (approximately 200,000 people) with a range of psychosocial, educational, and pastoral services. Refugees in Maban represent one of the largest concentrations of refugees in South Sudan and is located in the North East of the Country in Northern Upper Nile State.
Child Safeguarding policy:
JRS South Sudan is committed to the absolute safeguarding and protection of children under our case.
JRS believes that all its members should uphold the highest standard of respectable conduct as they owe a professional duty of care and protection towards children. They are required to uphold the best interests of the child and take measures that are necessary to ensure that they do not subject children to physical, sexual, emotional and verbal abuse, exploitation or neglect. JRS personnel must ensure that the protection of all children is a priority in their work.
JRS Maban Response:
Since its establishment in 2013, JRS Maban has been serving refugees and the host community living in Maban County, South Sudan (approximately 200,000 people) Refugees are fleeing violent conflict in the Blue Nile region and are hosted by a country experiencing a civil war now in its sixth year. In response to the needs of the communities in Maban, JRS is implementing a diverse suite of education, psychosocial and pastoral programs supported by the necessary logistical and administration supports.
JRS Maban engages a team of over 100 staff both national and international and community volunteers in its mission and is supported by the competencies of support staff from Country Office in Juba and Regional office in Nairobi.
JRS Maban Programming includes:
o Certified Teacher Training
o English Language Training
o Computer Skills Training Individual Counselling
o Support for Early Childhood Development Centres and Primary School
o Day Care for Children with Disabilities
o Youth Sports & Recreation
o Trainings in Psychosocial Skills and Counselling
o Home Visits
o Material/ Non-food Item (NFI) Distribution
The Director of Operations will play a key role in assisting the Project Director to strategically manage and support the JRS presence and programme of work in Maban to evolve more effective and accountable modes of service delivery in collaboration with the Senior Management Teams in JRS Maban and Country Office.
Key Responsibilities of the Director of Operations Include;-
- Deputizing for the Project Director as required
- Working closely with the Project Director and Senior Management Team to supervise, support and manage day-to-day operations in a strategic way
- With the Project Director support and manage the day-today backroom supports of the project.
- Evolving the programme of work in line with JRS mission, vision and the strategic framework within which JRS programming is done in South Sudan and Maban
- Work closely with Project Management Team to drive talent development and professional growth of field staff including the development of a clear strategy for mentoring and developing the capacity of key staff across all key functions
- Fostering a working environment that is imbued with the JRS ethos.
- Liaising and building effective relationships with Humanitarian Partners and Community Leaders
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will:
· Have a clear commitment to the mission and ethos of JRS and share its values of compassion, professionalism and desire to be with those most in need.
· Have at least three (3) years in a similar role in a humanitarian context, including demonstrably strong leadership and management skills; experience in organizational and programmatic management; an ability to solve problems creatively with minimal resources. and technical expertise and recognized qualifications in fields such as MHPSS, Education, Pastoral Work, Humanitarian Work, Project Management or related field.
· Have experience and competency with data management, quality assurance, and monitoring/evaluation and an ability to use data to inform program decisions
· Have demonstrated success supervising and leading teams
· Have high degree of competency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
· Have ability to work and live in a stressful environment with only basic amenities
· Have excellent skills in English (required); skills in oral Arabic desirable
Interested candidates should submit :(1) a cover letter demonstrating the candidate’s suitability against the Ideal Candidate Profile outlined above; (2) a CV ( limited to 3 pages), and (3) three professional references to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and Noelle.firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd July 2019.**
Applications without all the required materials will not be considered. Submitted CVs must not exceed three pages in length. Only successful candidates will be contacted.