A. Position Summary
BMZ funded BuildUganda Program
Field based – Uganda
Expected Start Date
1st October 2019
Finance and Administrative Officer (FAO)
B. Brief Overview of VSF Germany
VSF Germany is an International Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the Horn of Africa region, VSF Germany has been implementing programmes in South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia since 1998. Effective from January 2019, VSF Germany has expanded its programme scope to Uganda. VSF Germany programmes focus on Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Natural Resources Management, Peacebuilding, Water and Sanitation, Protection and response to Disasters and Emergencies. Each country program is managed through the country offices and country teams. Country programmes are coordinated and facilitated from the Regional Office Nairobi (RON). The organization is a registered charity in Germany with its headquarters in Berlin.
To support the growth and implementation of our program in Uganda, we are currently seeking to hire a qualified Driver/Logistician.
C. Main Responsibilities
The driver is expected to work with the Finance and Administration officer to:
· Maintain VSF Germany’s vehicles as per set policies and procedures.
· Transport staff to programme areas while adhering to the national road safety regulations as well as VSF Germany transport rules and regulations.
· Offer administrative and logistical support
· Complete all required daily, weekly, monthly and other vehicle checks as per policy.
· Report to the FAO regarding any maintenance or repair needs
· Accompany the vehicle to the garage for repairs and maintenance
· Drive in a safe and efficient manner to protect the vehicle and ensure longevity
· Conscientiously report information in the logbook and fuel logbook
· Ensure the vehicle is always clean inside as well as outside.
· Perform daily vehicle pre-departure checklist as indicated in the guidelines.
· Inspect the vehicle to ensure that it is always ready for travels.
· Ensure the vehicle always has a full first aid kit as well as and emergency kit
· Check that the vehicle has all the items required for safety as per policy (spare wheel, basic tool kit, hazard triangle etc)
· Maintain all legal documents in vehicle as required by law
Transportation of staff and Goods
· Transportation of authorized staff and goods as required to destinations as required
· Be available at office premises in time to transport the staff for official duties within or out of town.
· Ensure that you have an approved vehicle travel request for all official travel with staff.
· Transport the staff for all official duties as required
· Report any accidents immediately to the nearest police station and to the field office in line with the policy.
· Follow VSF G and state guidelines for road use and speed limits
· Respect VSF G standard operating procedures for vehicles use.
· Collect biweekly vehicle use requests and plan accordingly
· Create vehicle use calendar with the FAO
· Support the FAO on non-vehicle administrative and logistical work as required
D. Reporting Lines and Collaboration
The Driver reports and works under the technical, functional and administrative supervision of the Finance and Administration Officer and in collaboration with the program staff.
E. Essential Requirements
· Active, clean driver’s license
· 5 years driving experience
· Good organizational skills
· Fluency in English with exceptional written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to travel regularly to rural areas and spend nights out as necessary
· Good interpersonal and communication skill
· Passion, enthusiasm and interest in VSF G’s mission, honest and trustworthy
Desirable skills and attributes
· Experience working in a multicultural environment
· Experience as a driver for an international organization
· Individual must be results oriented
· highly self-motivated, and adaptive
· Ability to establish strong working relationships with staff in Uganda and internationally
· Selection will be based on requirements, competencies and skills outlined above.
· VSF Germany is an equal opportunity employer but female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
F. Remuneration and Benefits Package
Successful candidates with be offered competitive remuneration in local currency and accompanying staff benefits in line with local labour market rates and organizational policies.
A. Application procedure
Interested and qualified candidates who meets the requirements should send their applications with the subject line “Driver/Logistician Uganda” to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com on or before 23rd of August 2019 which is the closing date for receiving applications. The application documents should include the following, all in one document:
- Cover letter for application (max 1 page)
- Updated CV of not more than 2 pages and with at least 3 professional referees.
3. Summary table of educational background, work experience, skill and competence (max 1 page)