Organization:International Organization for Migration
Position Title :DTM Officer (IM and GIS)
Duty Station :Juba, South Sudan
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment :Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :26 September 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations in South Sudan, the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (DTM) and in coordination with the Information Management Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with the planning, coordination, supervision and implementation of information management activities in relation to the implementation of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) programme, as part of the Data, Analysis and Reporting Team (DART).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the DTM DART, support the production of all information products with a specific focus on data cleaning, validation, analysis and mapping/ GIS outputs.
- Propose, contribute to the design of, and implement geographic data management system, and help improve the workflow between different components of DART in close collaboration with the Database Officer.
- Perform quality control and quality assurance tasks to ensure high data quality throughout the entire data management cycle from the moment of collection to publication. Propose and implement actions to improve data quality.
- Support the gathering, management, validation, storing and sharing of knowledge and data in a systematic manner.
- Communicate with partners including UN Agencies, NGOs, Governmental bodies and others in matters related to data and information management, sharing and publication, including through participation in inter-agency working groups/meetings.
- Develop and conduct training modules to support capacity among staff, volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Assist in the strengthening of information management tools and provide technical inputs into ongoing information management initiatives and partnerships.
- Support the design and content management of the internal and external sharing platforms (including country-level and global DTM websites).
- Monitor and follow up on the effective use of the designated information systems and data sharing tools, such as the DTM websites and application tools, to manage the implementation of information management mechanisms.
- Facilitate timely preparation and generation of information products, including the development and improvement of adequate designs for effective data sharing, and support on information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Information Management, Information Systems, Computer Science, Media or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the management and coordination of information flows, data management including collection, storing, processing, and analysing data to generate information products;
• In-depth knowledge of the latest technological developments in information technology and information system;
• Demonstrated ability for leadership in the context of partnership building and consensual decision-making;
• Proven skills to analyse statistical information;
• Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures;
• Ability to translate planning-specifications into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa;
• Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets;
• Experience with handling confidential data;
• Demonstrated team-building and information management skills;
• Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies;
• Understanding of relational data theory;
• Advanced data Visualization and information design skills;
• Previous experience working with DTM and in South Sudan a strong advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
•Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
•Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
•Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
•Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
•Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
•Accountability:takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
•Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Leadership:provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
•Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
•Strategic thinking and vision:works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 September 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 13.09.2018 to 26.09.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/219 (P) – DTM Officer (IM & GIS) (P2) – Juba, South Sudan (55649146) Released
Posting: Posting NC55649163 (55649163) Released