ECA Fellowship for Young African Professionals
- It is open only to nationals of United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member states
- Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of USD 3,000. Fellows will be provided with a return air ticket between his/her country of residence and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- The fellowship may be extended subject to the availability of funds and based on satisfactory performance
- Fellows cannot be employed on ECA or United Nations regular positions within six months of completion of a fellowship period.
- Fellows will have the opportunity to interact with Commission staff and gain exposure to the Commission’s cutting edge research on a variety of leading issues in African development;
- Fellows will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work programme of the receiving section, the New Technologies and Innovation Section (NTIS). Terms of Reference for each fellowship assignment will be designed to guide the recruitment process.
ECA is the regional arm of the United Nations in Africa. Its mandate is to promote the social and economic development of Africa.
ECA’s dual role as a regional arm of the UN, and a part of the regional institutional landscape in Africa, positions it well to make unique contributions to member States’ efforts to address their development challenges.
Its strength derives from its role as the only UN agency mandated to operate at the regional and sub-regional levels to harness resources and bring them to bear on Africa’s priorities.
ECA is inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the area of new technologies, including ICTs in the context of new technologies for Development.
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Candidates applying for the position must be below 36 years of age at the time of the application.
Candidates currently enrolled in a Ph.D. programme or with an admission are also welcome to apply. Fellowship within ECA aims to provide practical, on-the job experience to the professionals as they build and develop their professional career at African development institutions, teaching and research think tanks or member States’ government institutions.
Fellows will also become familiar with the Commission’s broad programmes and services to member States and sub-regional bodies in addressing environment and sustainable development priorities in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Work programme in the area of the application of new technologies in development, defined mutually with the receiving section.
- Contribute to the work of the Section and Division by carrying out research, analytical studies, drafting reports and supporting other activities, as directed, in particular in relation to identifying and assessing the impact and contribution of new technologies, including Information and Communication Technologies to economic development in Africa.
Assignments within the area of focus may include, but are not limited to, collecting information and conducting research on the impact of new technologies in economic development; analysing methodologies and indicators for evaluation of economic growth and the contribution of new technologies.
The Fellow will also contribute to technical and policy reports, briefing notes, and support the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, workshops, and seminars; and fulfill various other administrative tasks for the effective delivery of New Technologies and Innovation Section’s activities.
How to apply
Clearly indicating your preferred area of consideration (in the cover/application letter), please submit your application package ensuring it includes at a minimum:
- A signed copy of application letter;
- A signed copy of Personal History Profile (please download the P11 Form at http://www.uneca.org/pages/vacancies;
- A copy of your university degree(s) and Certification(s)
All submissions o be sent to: RecruitmentPPost [at] uneca.org
For full description, application contacts and other requirements – ECA Fellowship for Young African Professionals