Eco Warrior Awards for Kenya
Entries are now open for the Eco Warrior Award to recognise and celebrate best practices in sustainable tourism within Kenya’s tourism industry.
It aims to highlight achievements and exceptional innovations made by different players in the tourism industry to integrate the Global Sustainable Development Goals in their operations.
This year, they wish to recognize the responsible employers and those businesses making a social impact within their destination.
This is based upon the principles of environmentally friendly operations; the protection of cultural and natural heritage; and direct benefits to the social and economic well-being of local people.
Focus Area Green jobs: These are jobs that contribute to the green economy through preservation and restoration of the natural environment and promote social fairness.
Green economy: Is one that is environmentally friendly, with abundant resources that are shared fairly and have an outcome on better social well-being.
Award Categories and Eligibility Criteria
- Promoting Decent Work and Reducing Inequalities at the work place:
- This category is linked to SDG 8 and 10. It involves reducing inequalities (internally) within the business or organization by ensuring equal opportunities and promoting inclusive and sustainable economic growth, productive employment and decent work for all.
- The category is open to conservancies, accommodations, tour operators, community based tourism organizations and any other organization within the tourism/ conservation industry.
- Conservancies must be recognised by Kenya Wildlife Association of Conservancies (KWCA).
- Accommodations must be Eco-rated by Ecotourism Kenya;
- Tour Operators must be members of Ecotourism Kenya and/or KATO.Social Impact Category: It seeks to recognize tourism organizations that mobilize resources to eradicate poverty, implement social protection systems, support local community investments, enterprises and create jobs for local communities.
Change Makers Category:
This category is open to individuals only. This includes safari guides, journalists, bloggers, students, recent graduates (should have graduated within the last two years) and individual Ecotourism Kenya members. They are expected to have made positive evident contribution towards achieving a green economy.
It involves actions, projects, initiatives, best practices or campaigns inclined towards promoting and influencing natural and cultural environment preservation, and restoration.
Green Tour Champions: It shall involve demonstration of best practices in responsible production and consumption of resources.
It has 3 elements:
- Resource Use Efficiency
- Tour Operators Category
- Single Use Plastics Category
- Being a winner of an Eco Warrior Award means:Benefits of Being an Eco Warrior Award winner:
- Be able to use the award logo indefinitely since it has the Year of recognition inscribed on the trophy. Marketing on their Social Media platforms.
- Ability to use the Award Title in any Social Media and Marketing opportunities.
- Using the award title to brand applicants self as an Eco champion in their professional space.An Eco Warrior Award winner has to be:
- Positively working towards being sustainable through having policies, investing in policies, compliance with legislation, partnerships, documenting, sharing and innovation.
- Working constructively with communities to minimize negative social impacts of tourism. Working with communities to optimize opportunities provided by tourism.
- Committed to best practices in energy, water and waste management.How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply through the website.
Apply by 9th August.
For more information and application details, see; Eco Warrior Awards for Kenya