Under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Programs at Head Office – Mali, the Education & Protection Coordinator will be responsible for the vision, strategy, design, monitoring, and quality delivery of the Education & Protection programs in Mali. The Education & Protection Coordinator will be based in Bamako with frequent visits to the field sites.
The Education & Protection Coordinator role will also include capacity building of national staff and partners engaged in the implementation of the IRC Mali’s Education and Protection activities. The Coordinator will lead the design, development and context analysis of new projects focused on education, child protection and gender-based violence. In accordance with IRC Mali’s focus on integrated programming, the Education & Protection Coordinator will work closely with in-country Coordinators such as Economic Recovery and Development, Health and Nutrition, Wash, Grants and especially with the Design Monitoring and Evaluation Department.. The Education & Protection Coordinator will be supported by Technical Advisors (TAs) based at IRC HQ to ensure effective, high quality delivery of all education, protection and GBV components.
Technical Monitoring and Program Quality
- Provide technical supervision of, and technical support to IRC Mali education, child protection, and GBV programming activities;
- Ensure that education, child protection and GBV programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as recommended by the Ministries of Education, Safety, Civil/social protection, etc.;
- Ensure that all education and protection activities are consistent with established international and national best practices, in close collaboration with the Education, Women’s Protection and Child Protection TAs;
- Lead all research and learning activities in relation to Education and Protection;
- Ensure appropriate follow-up and decision-making on data relevant to IRC Education and Protection programs;
- Ensure all stakeholders are provided with updates on education, child protection, and GBV programs in Mali, HQ and the regional WASACH team, including Head of Office – Mali, Technical Unit, donors, etc.;
- Ensure regular performance monitoring of partners to achieve the set project’s objectives; provide technical support and guidance;
- In strong collaboration with the M&E Departments, supervise the development of relevant M&E systems and ensure regular follow-up on monitoring data relevant to IRC education and protection programs to feed into on-going review of project cycle and decision-making for programming;
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Monitor evolving needs of the target communities and adjust the programmatic priorities as necessary;
- In collaboration with HQ-based Technical Coordinators and Senior Management Team – Mali, lead the overall development of an overall IRC Education and Protection Program strategies in line with IRC Mali Strategic Action Plan and IRC’s Outcomes and Evidence Framework;
- Provide technical input to the establishment of IRC Mali’s emergency preparedness plans and protocols.
Program Development, Implementation, Communications and Advocacy
- Identify opportunities for program development;
- Design and lead technical assessments as a basis for education and child protection program development;
- Coordinate and initiate project proposals and develop program proposals (development of logical frameworks, program design and implementation plans and appropriate, realistic and measurable indicators, budget) for the IRC Mali Education and Protection Program under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Programs – Mali and in consultation and collaboration with field based technical and field management staff and HQ based Education and Protection TAs;
- Support program manager in developing SoP activities, planning implementation and budget follow up
- Together with regional and HQ teams, identify communication opportunities for internal and external audiences highlighting humanitarian needs related to economic wellbeing and publicizing on-going projects and research;
- Together with CD, DDP and relevant coordination mechanisms, identify opportunities for advocacy on issues related to economic wellbeing.
Coordination and Representation
- Collaborate with business development, SMT and RU members on the design and writing of proposals and strategies aimed at supporting IRC Mali’s commitment to safety outcomes as described in the country’s Strategic Action Plan (SAP);
- Collaborate with other in-country technical coordinators, to ensure an integrated strategy to achieve education and safety outcomes as in the country’s SAP;
- In coordination with the supervisor, represent IRC to UN, international and national NGOs, Ministries of Health, and donors for protection and education;
- As Education and Protection focal point at country level, participate actively in external Education and Protection coordination and Cluster forums; the WPE (Women’s Protection and Empowerment) manager, under his/her supervision, will participate in GBV coordination and Cluster meetings.
- Participate in internal coordination and management meetings to promote effective and efficient information sharing, problem-solving and decision making;
- Ensure all stakeholders are provided with updated information on education and protection programs in Mali, including Head of Office – Mali, Technical Unit, donors etc.;
- With support from the programs team, ensure accountability to beneficiaries, gender sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in IRC’s Education and Protection programs.
- Develop and implement continuous staff capacity building plan to ensure quality education, child protection, and GBV programming;
- Ensure respect for IRC HR policies during the recruitment process;
- Provide timely and quality performance evaluations;
- Promote the IRC Way with all supervisees.
- Masters level qualification in Social Sciences, Education, International Development or related subject
- A minimum of 3-5 years professional experience in leading/managing Education and or Protection projects in humanitarian contexts
- Proven experience in managing and/or technically supporting education, case management, and psychosocial support activities for children and adult
- Excellent professional approach, strong building skills and proven ability to build staff capacity
- Prior experience and excellent understanding of working in emergency settings or insecure environments
- Strong leadership, management, project planning, monitoring and evaluation, analytical interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong budget management and reporting, skills; and an ability to oversee multiple awards from a variety of donors
- An initiator of initiatives, able to plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks under pressure and deliver tangible benefits to a team
- Proven problem solving and results oriented
- Strong written and oral communication skills, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment and effective in representation and liaison
- Flexible work attitude – the ability to work productively in a team environment and independently
- Able to respond rapidly to changing environments and work under pressure
- Fluency in French and English required
- Experience of working in West Africa or Mali a plus
- Excellent Computer skills: MS Word, Excel