Organization: Relief International
Position: Education Team Leader
Location: Somalia (with significant travel to various locations within Somalia, Somaliland and Nairobi, Kenya)
Duration: 1 year, with possibility of extension
Reports to: Country Director
Relief International (RI) is an international relief and development agency with cross-sectoral programs comprised of teams of humanitarian and development professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development. RI has been implementing basic education projects in Somalia since 2009 and other complex and fragile contexts (e.g. Iraq, Jordan, South Sudan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan etc.).
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Education Team Leader will lead in the areas of strategy, management, coordination and representation, financial and compliance oversight and program development. This will include providing overall leadership in development and roll out of a Somalia Education Sector Strategy through a consultative and collaborative process; effectively coordinating consortium partners and other partners in the education sector; representing RI to donors and government authorities at the local and national level; and providing oversight in ensuring that education projects are implemented as per agreed requirements and in compliance with donor regulations.
- Provide leadership in development, review and roll out of a country education strategy, in coordination with the RI Regional Education Director, Deputy Director for Program Quality, and Global Education Technical Lead.
- Provide strategic direction in the implementation of education programming in line with the education sector strategy and the RI global education strategy.
- Support the development of a coherent consortium strategy with all partners and facilitate learning/sharing opportunities within the consortium.
- In close coordination with the Deputy Director, Education Program Quality and the Country MEL Manager, coordinate the development of tools/templates linked to the programme (baselines, evaluation TORs, reporting etc.).
- In coordination with the consortium members, ensure the planning of the different implementation steps and defining programme priorities based on planned activities and the efficient use of resources.
- Travel regularly within Somalia to ensure adherence to agreed implementation plan and quality standards.
Representation and Coordination
- Maintain overall responsibility of coordinating consortium partners on all programmatic, financial and MEL issues including chairing monthly and quarterly consortium meetings.
- Serve as the primary interface for key education donors, in coordination with the Country Director.
- Facilitate partnerships with international organizations, the Ministry of Education, relevant local governments, and civil society organizations.
- Position RI as a key education actor in Somalia by participating in education coordination mechanisms, platforms and forums.
Financial and Donor Compliance
- Ensure, in collaboration with the Country Finance Manager, the overall financial oversight of the consortium budget and expenditure.
- Ensure efficient and timely procurement of goods & services is carried out according to the workplan and in compliance with donor’s guidelines.
- Ensure programme compliance to donor contract and partner agreements by Consortium members.
- In close collaboration with Regional Program Development Manager, Country Director and Programme Coordinator actively participate in and contribute to new and innovative business development opportunities and programme partnerships/consortiums in Somalia.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in program management, ideally as a Chief of Party, Consortium/Programme Director or similar level
- Master’s degree in Education, Social Science, Development Studies, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in program and financial management of large grants/projects.
- Significant experience in fragile contexts especially working with marginalized populations.
- Prior, demonstrated experience in managing diverse teams and coaching and mentoring of staff.
- Previous experience in the country highly desired.
- Excellent communication and presentation (oral and written) skills in English.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, problem solving, and team building.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic and stressful environment.
- Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Relief International’s Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
For consideration please submit all of the following: a detailed CV, cover letter, salary expectations, and a list of 3 previous supervisors (including email address, where you worked with the person, current employer, and telephone number).
Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this is posted.
Interested Applicants are requested to click on the link below to fill in their application: