Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
EMR Team Manager
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The MSF movement is built around five operational centres supported by 24 sections and offices worldwide. MSF Operational Centre of Paris is one of these centres with over 65 projects in 24 countries in Africa, Middle East, Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.
The formed eHealth Unit has the mandate to promote and advance secure, efficient, and effective use of health information from MSF operational activities, contribute to quality of care information utilization, and help to inform future health information technology initiatives. The Unit supports the ability to capitalize on available information to make appropriate and timely clinical and management decisions and rationalize reporting requirements by refining how data is gathered, used and shared. The Units work spans the entire development lifecycle from analysis of needs to deployment and long-term use of those systems and applications. The Unit has the responsibility to look to the future and further develop its information management capacity and systems, including better incorporation of the use of new technologies, to facilitate informed decision-making to adapt its humanitarian response to constantly changing situations.
The eHealth Unit team members are based in Paris, New York or in field missions and transverse between the operations, medical and IT departments. The Unit currently has two core workstreams, Health Management Information System (HMIS) and Electronic Medical Records (EMR). The eHealth Unit EMR Team Manager functions as a core member of the eHealth team and hierarchical in the eHealth Unit Director in New York to ensure that the adoption of EMR’s are being used effectively for improving clinical care, program monitoring, and quality improvement of core activities.
We are looking for a talented and dynamic individual for the position of EMR Team Manager in the eHealth Unit. The candidate must have a strong background in team management and an aptitude for critical evaluation particularly around systems thinking, technology solutioning, strategy formulation and organizational skills, ideally in humanitarian aid organizations. This person will provide oversight and manage working on the entire lifecycle of EMR adoption in diverse MSF settings, including analyzing needs and current systems, translation to design, configuration, deployment and support within the EMR team, stakeholders within MSF and external collaborators
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Team and Deployment Management
- Oversee the project planning for EMR related activities and coordinate with the team deliverable, timelines, and resources related to EMR adoption
- Determine the scope and priorities of the EMR team activities component in collaboration with the eHealth team.
- Supervise distributed EMR team members in areas of requirements gathering (business and systems analysis), deployment, training, documentation and support; and provide effective mentorship and actively build these skills within the department.
- Measures and communicates progress toward goals, determines and implements any necessary corrective actions
- Actively monitor and track project tasks, timelines, attainment of established milestones and overall quality of activities and deliverables
- Liaison with external technology collaboration on enhancement, new development and support
- Prioritizes multiple requests, requirements and feedback from various stakeholders and ensures projects are delivered on-time, on budget, and remain in scope
- Ensure collaboration with relevant stakeholders within projects and in different MSF headquarters to respond to newly identified priorities around the design, resource-needs, implementation and optimization to increase data capture, availability and use in support of improved health care delivery
Change Management and Integration
- Identify risk areas including blockers related to EMR adoption and long-term use, including conducting change management assessments.
- Anticipate and manage changes to projects, such as but not limited to, technical requirements, functional and non-functional requirements and schedule
- Identify, analyze and prepare risk mitigation tactics.
- Identify and manage anticipated resistance.
- Consult and coach project teams.
- Ensures new team members are properly briefed and trained
- Participate in the annual Unit planning and budget review
- Conducts yearly individual reviews with his/her team members
- Represent the EMR team at senior MSF meetings, high-level meetings with external partners, and conferences, in coordination with the eHealth Unit
- Minimum five years in project management experience. (Healthcare IT, EMR, PM, & EHR is a major plus). At least two years of experience managing a team.
- Experience working in Asia, Africa or the Middle East is essential, ideally in humanitarian health setting
- Familiarity with the open source electronic medical records system and platforms;
- Proficiency in the use of project management methodologies (including Agile) and tools, resource management practices and change management techniques (PMI Certification is a major plus).
- Knowledge of or experience in quantitative data management and information technology systems
- Have a general understanding of application technology, functional design, and the development process.
- Has a general understanding of platform architecture, common integration approaches, security, data relationships, and interface capabilities.
- Experience in analyzing and applying data to improve processes.
- Strong minded with the ability to have an opinion and healthy debate with the executive team, but maturity to present a unified front once a decision is made.
- Excellent team management skill, including listening, empathy, and flexibility
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards.
- Ability to handle conflict, difficult situations, and urgent issues in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams;
- Evidence of strong communication skills, both oral and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the agreement;
- Willingness to travel 30-40% of time, Comfortable with travel to resource limited settings; able to function well in a challenging, dynamic environment
- Fluency in English is required, French or Arabic is preferred
Full Time Exempt
Open Ended Contract
Starting salary low 100s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date
Working Time %
How to Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with
ATTN: “EMR Team Manager” position in the subject line. Submissions without cover letter will not be reviewed.
No phone calls please.
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
Application Deadline: May 3rd, 2019; 11:50 pm EST