- Closing date:Sunday 28th October 2018 @ 23:59 GMT*
- Interviews:Second Half of November 2018
- Location:Based in Brussels, Belgium
- Candidates must have and be able to retain the legal right to work in the EU.
- Contract:Open-ended Contract
- Salary:€ 64,454 gross per annum & € 2100 Net Rep Allowance
One person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty.
Around the world, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. In all we do, Oxfam works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
Oxfam is an international confederation of 20 organizations networked together in more than 90 countries,as part of a global movement for change, to build a future free from the injustice of poverty. The Oxfam International Secretariat is currently headquartered in Nairobi, with offices in Oxford, Washington DC, New York, Brussels, Geneva, and a liaison office with the Africa Union in Addis Ababa.
This post will be part of the OI Secretariat Advocacy and Campaigns team.
Our EU Advocacy Office in Brussels is looking for a committed individual to work on EU inequality policies, including on taxation.
Working in a multi-cultural team, s/he will contribute to Oxfam’s global “Even it Up” campaign against extreme economic inequality, and will lead the development and implementation of our advocacy work on inequality and fairer tax rules in Europe and in developing countries.
S/he will monitor EU developments on taxation and inequality especially as they relate to women’s rights, and develop Oxfam’s policy accordingly. This policy will be used for advocacy by the successful candidate with relevant European institutions and fora in Brussels, as well as towards the European media.
S/he will work closely with Oxfam’s European affiliates and other networks active on tax (NGOs, trade unions…) as well as with Oxfam colleagues in developing countries to influence relevant EU Institutions and Member States, and ensure developing countries can raise more tax revenues to advance women’s access to quality and effective public services.
S/he will also provide tailored support and information to other members of the Oxfam family on inequality, EU taxation issues, targets and developments.
- Experience of working on EU policies, preferably on economic or tax issues and a very good understanding of EU institutions and functioning
- Understanding of how economic inequality disproportionately impacts women and how to address this.
- Direct experience of working with political & governmental stakeholders to influence change – have a good track record in policy influencing
- Good knowledge of international development issues
- Analytical skills and able to think strategically as well as creatively
- Team player and excellent communications skills
- Fluency in English required and competence in other European languages, especially French, is desirable.
- Commitments to Oxfam values and principles
Fluency in English required and competence in French and/or Spanish is desirable.
To view the job description and for information on how to apply please go to the Oxfam International Website, found at:https://recruitment.oxfam.org/