**Client: BRAC International
Role Title: Executive Director
Ranked the top NGO in the world for the third time running, BRAC is known for its holistic, data-driven and community-based programming. As Executive Director of BRAC International (BI), working in close collaboration with the Founder and the Governing Board, you will set the vision, and lead the growth and development of BRAC in Africa and Asia (excluding Bangladesh). This is an outstanding opportunity for an inspiring, dynamic and mission-driven leader who has led significant change and can bring energy, entrepreneurial spirit, and business skills to scale up operations and solve complex development challenges as part of a large as a South-led, South-bred global organization.
Location: negotiable, with significant time to be spent in the Netherlands, Bangladesh and BI countries of operation
Closing date: 3 February 2019
Starting date: April 2019
Type of contract: 5-year contract
Website Link client:https://www.bracinternational.nl/en/
BRAC was established in 1972 in a remote village in Bangladesh as a limited relief operation. Today it is the largest development organisation in the world, ranked by Geneva-based NGO Adviser as the world’s top NGO for the third year running. Sharing successful solutions in 11 countries in Africa and Asia, as well as in Bangladesh, BRAC implements large-scale and impactful interventions in the areas of livelihoods, health, education, micro-finance. climate change and community development, with a strong commitment to gender equality and empowerment of women and girls across all its work.
BRAC works on changing the systems of inequity by creating platforms to empower individuals and communities in situations of poverty, illiteracy, disease and social injustice, and has touched the lives of an estimated 130 million people around the world, with staff, volunteers and BRAC-trained entrepreneurs numbering in the hundreds of thousands.
BRAC is many things, it is a social enterprise, an NGO, a public forum, a knowledge hub, a social investor, a policy advocate, a university and a crisis responder. It brings together changemakers, activists, heroes and mentors who want to build a world that works for everyone.
About BRAC International
Stichting BRAC International (BI) was set up in 2009 as a non-profit foundation in the Netherlands to govern and manage all BRAC entities outside Bangladesh, UK and USA.
With 8,000 employees, 10,000 volunteers in Africa and Asia, and an annual budget of over 130 million USD, BI touches the lives of an estimated 20 million people each year.
As BI enters its second decade of existence, it has embarked on a significant organizational change process together with BRAC Bangladesh, BRAC USA and BRAC UK, developing a new BRAC Global Strategy (2020 -2030) to establish a global organization with a shared vision, coherent goals for sustainable development and strong, ambitious organizational growth targets. BI’s new Executive Director will play a critical role in forging and executing the strategy and unleashing the full potential of BI in the coming years.
About the Role
While the location of the position is negotiable, the successful candidate will be expected to spend significant periods of time in Dhaka, where BI’s operational support services are co-located at the headquarters of BRAC Bangladesh, and in the Netherlands where BI is registered as well as frequently visiting the countries where BI carries out its programs. The Executive Director will report to the Stichting BRAC International Supervisory Board.
Purpose of the Role
The Executive Director of BRAC International will:
- Develop the vision and strategic plan of BRAC International in close collaboration with the Founder, the Supervisory Board and senior management.
- Lead the execution of the strategic plan, significantly scaling up the number of country programs and impact of BI
- Promote a high-performing culture based on BRAC’s values: integrity, innovation, inclusiveness, effectiveness
- Work in close partnership with BRAC Bangladesh, UK and USA to achieve organizational change under BRAC’s global strategy.
The ED will work closely with the Founder and the Supervisory Board of Directors, as well as a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, including BRAC Bangladesh, UK and USA.
Under the overall guidance of the Founder and Board, the incumbent will:
- Lead BRAC International to achieve the organisation’s mission as defined by Strategy 2020-2030 and position it for growth, organizational change and strategic impact,
- Direct and manage the execution of the strategic plan, including strategies to develop and expand programs, presence and impact of BI
- Actively pursue, secure and nurture partnerships, mobilizing substantial funding from institutional donors, governments, foundations and other sources.
- Lead, inspire and build high performing, diverse management teams at the international and country levels
- Encourage innovation and entrepreneurialism while making tough decisions to ensure clarity of direction and focus on clearly set targets and goals Oversee the effective development and implementation of BI ’s complex and diverse programmes in ten+ countries with varied socio-political contexts.
- Enhance the image of BRAC International, championing its vision, mission and values internally and externally and working actively and visibly with communities, civil society organisations, local, national and regional governments, funders, social investors and other stakeholders.
- Work to achieve financial growth and oversee the management of a large budget (130 million USD/year) and workforce, ensuring the fiscal integrity, accountability and transparency of BRAC International.
- Encourage and support research and learning to enhance the high quality of BRAC’s programs.
- Ensure accountability to and communications with the Supervisory Board including through effective reporting and communications and support the Board to make informed and timely decisions;
- Work in partnership with BRAC Bangladesh and BRAC affiliates to advance shared values, goals, objectives and programs, including the transformation of BRAC into an effective global organization.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will have an advanced degree from a reputable institution and be an accomplished change leader with considerable experience in the field of international development. S/he will have:
- A proven ability to raise funds and further sound growth and programme development.
- Track record of strategy development, change leadership, and program management in large and complex development organizations
- Thorough knowledge, practical experience and business skills to solve complex development challenges, including social business.
- Strong influencing skills and experience of nurturing and managing relationships with diverse stakeholders and partners including communities, civil society, governments, donors, academia, media and business.
- Significant field experience, preferably in a range of countries/regions, including leading community-driven programming and Southern-led development initiatives.
- Commitment to and experience in gender equality and women’s empowerment, inclusion and diversity organizationally and programmatically
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills.
- Experience and excellence in managing change in a multi-cultural organisation, leading it towards greater diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated experience of developing and leading diverse, high-performing senior teams.
- Ability to analyse and apply research, data and learning to improve programs and operations.
- Financial skills with experience in overseeing large budgets and resource optimization.
- Willingness to undertake extensive international travel.
Piqued your interest?
To apply for this role, please submit your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (one page) that summarizes how your profile aligns with the key requirements, skills and abilities of this role. Both files should be submitted in .doc(x) or .rtf format via this form:www.mis.tl/CV.
After submitting your application, you will receive an automated confirmation. If you do not receive this or have general questions about submitting your application, please write firstname.lastname@example.org.