Organization:World Federalist Movement-Institute for Global Policy
The World Federalist Movement-Institute for Global Policy (WFM-IGP) is a 71 year old peace movement working to promote democratic global governance, international justice and the rule of law, human rights, conflict prevention and sustainable development. WFM-IGP is a stichting in The Netherlands and a USA 501.c3 non-profit international non-governmental organization (NGO) with consultative status at the United Nations. WFM-IGP works for major strengthening and reform of the UN system and the regional and international legal order though education, research and advocacy. WFM-IGP hosts and supports important NGO networks and projects including theCoalition for the International Criminal Court, theInternational Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect, and theNGO Working Group on the Security Council.For more information, please visit WFM’s website:www.wfm.org.
A compensation package commensurate with experience including health and retirement benefits.
WFM-IGP New York or The Hague International Secretariats but prepared to travel.
Chair of the Executive Committee and Treasurer, reporting to the WFM Congress.
All staff in WFM-IGP offices, through managers where appropriate. The Executive Director (ED) has overall accountability and responsibility for strategic, programmatic, financial and management operations of the organization and its offices. She/he is the Chief Executive Officer and leads WFM-IGP staff and coordinates its Management Team.
Responsible for the financial management, fundraising, organization, outreach and communications of WFM–IGP; manage human resources, staff and volunteers as necessary; and oversee preparation of the Strategic Plan. The ED is the primary political spokesperson for the organization and main contact for donors, media, governments, United Nations officials and other external stakeholders. She/he leads on the organization’s external communications and political advocacy.
- Oversee the implementation of WFM-IGP’s network governance, strategic plan and policies, based on active membership engagement;
- Lead and guide the senior management team;
- Liaise with and report to the Executive Committee;
- Represent the organization at meetings with government officials, the diplomatic community, other civil society organizations, United Nations officials and representatives of other international organizations, such as the International Criminal Court;
- Contribute to communicating the organization’s vision and mission and provide leadership in its ongoing development;
- Provide ongoing support and regular communication to WFM membership in order to strengthen capacity for grassroots activism within the wider movement.
- Responsible for overall management of the organization;
- Oversee maintenance of an efficient and secure office system;
- Oversee the updating and implementation of the organization’s internal policies (e.g. human resources, data protection and secure archiving, staff and management procedures, etc.);
Financial Management and Fundraising
- Responsible for overall financial oversight;
- Lead on fundraising strategy and fundraising oversight;
- Oversee and assist in preparation of budgets and financial statements in co-operation with the Treasurer;
- Ensure that WFM is fully compliant with its statutory and regulatory obligations;
- Administer fundraising activities including applications and reporting to trusts, foundations, governments, other organizations and individuals in a timely manner.
Communications, political outreach and networking
- Responsible for managing the overall communications of the International
- Secretariat and WFM-IGP offices;
- Establish and maintain networks and contacts with other organizations, officials and stakeholders;
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for WFM-IGP programs;
- Lead in identifying and implementing strategic partnerships for the organization.
- Oversee and contribute to WFM-IGP external publications and digital communications;
- Ensure adequate supply and distribution of up-to-date digital and printed information about WFM-IGP and its activities.
Human Resources, staff and volunteers
- Responsible for overseeing all human resource issues including direct line management where appropriate;
- Ensure the operation of an effective management supervision and support system for all staff with regular meetings between managers and managed, leading to annual appraisals;
- Ensure that all staff are given clear objectives and targets in their work and that their performance is managed in line with the key performance indicators of the Strategic Plan;
- Oversee the collaboration of various sections of the WFM-IGP secretariat, steering committee and partners in order to expand awareness of the WFM-IGP and its programs as well as the membership and diversity of the organization and its partner networks.
- At least 5 to 10 years senior management in an organization involved in global issues;
- At least 5 years experience of working for an organization with varied sources of income from governments, trusts, foundations and individuals;
- Experience in managing finances, setting budgets and reporting management and grant accounts in a complex organization;
- Experience of overseeing a diverse staff and of good human resource management practice;
- Detailed knowledge of international politics and governance, legal systems, humanitarian law;
- Experience of fundraising, including from foundations, governments, etc.;
- Fluency in oral and written English;
- Experience in public speaking;
- Ability to engage at a high level with UN and government officials, Ministers, diplomats etc;
- Legal and personal ability to work in either/both the USA and/or The Netherlands.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of the organization;
- Oral/written fluency in other international language(s)
- Direct experience of fundraising
- Experience of leading / working for a member-based organization
Interested candidates should send:
- A curriculum vitae
- A cover letter (not more than four sides of A4 font 12) stating your interest in this position and what you believe you can bring to WFM-IGP as its new Executive Director. Please refer directly to the Person Specification to demonstrate to what extent you have gained the skills and experience necessary for the post. Please give examples from previous employment (whether paid or voluntary) to provide evidence of your achievements.
- Three references (name, title, affiliation and contact information) Confirm if you would want advance notice before we call references.
- Information on authorization to work in the United States (citizen, permanent resident, practical training, etc.) and/or the EU. Those who do not have US or EU work authorization will also be considered on a competitive basis.
Please label the email submission of your candidacy with a subject line according to this structure: Executive Director, last name, first name.
Deadline: 26 October 2018
WFM-IGP is an equal opportunity employer, strongly committed to hiring and retaining a diverse and internationally representative staff. Non-US nationals, women, and individuals from minority backgrounds are encouraged to apply.