Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
External Relations Internship
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights
and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every
year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and
persecution. UNHCR’s staff work in 130 countries around the world, from major capitals to remote and
often dangerous locations, using their expertise to protect and care for millions of people. Wherever
refugees arrive, UNHCR works closely with governments to ensure the 1951 Refugee Convention is
honoured. The ideal candidate for this position will be a recent graduate, with a demonstrable
commitment to refugee issues. You should have a desire to develop skills and experience in media
relations, communications and parliamentary affairs. You should have the ability to maintain a high level
of confidentiality at all times and good interpersonal skills, flexibility and attention to detail are essential.
Knowledge of parliamentary procedure and advocacy and/or a detailed knowledge of best practice in
social media communication is an advantage.
Description of Internship in the External Relations Unit
- Main function: Providing support to the External Relations Unit
- Duration: Six months; Monday to Friday (9.00 – 5.00) Location: London, UK
- Contract: Internship
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Daily monitoring the UK’s print and online media, reporting on refugee and asylum matters and assisting in the preparation of material for the media.
- Responding to enquiries from the media and members of the public via email and telephone. • Maintaining databases of media & parliamentary contacts.
- Monitoring Parliament, compiling daily Hansard reports of proceedings in the House of Commons and the House of Lords, and producing a daily briefing on relevant debates and reports.
- Developing content for UNHCR UK’s website and social media channels, as well as contributing to monthly digital performance reports.
- Assisting with development and running of external relations events.
- Providing support to the daily running of the office and in particular the External Relations Unit, including administrative support.
Knowledge, experience, skills relevant for position:
- General computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience of updating and managing organisational social media accounts, and websites.
- Strong verbal communication and writing skills in English.
- Experience and interest in organising and running events.
- Analytical and drafting skills.
- Good intercultural communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of UK current affairs and political climate and an interest in contemporary issues surrounding refugees on both domestic and international levels. Graduates with a background in media, journalism, politics, international relations, development studies or other relevant disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Please note an individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of
UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not
eligible for an internship.
Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party will receive a monthly allowance of
up to USD$1000 is available to help cover the cost of food, local transportation and living expenses.
Applications should be sent by email, with CV (no longer than two pages) and covering letter (no longer
than one page) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate you are applying for the External Relations
internship in the subject of the email.
- The deadline for applications is Thursday 18th October
- Interviews will take place on Thursday 25th October
- The start date will be Monday 5th November
For more information see http://www.unhcr.org/uk/internships-in-the-united-kingdom.html