Fellowships for People of African Descent: The Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent provides participants with an intensive learning opportunity to deepen their understanding of the United Nations human rights system, instruments and mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent.
The Programme will allow the participants to better contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of Afro-descendants in their respective countries.
The first Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent was launched by the Anti-Discrimination Section of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in 2011 in the context of the International Year for People of African Descent.
The annual programme coincides with the session of the UN Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent enabling the fellows to attend and observe the Working Group’s session and gain a better understanding of its mandate and work.
Who can Apply?
- The candidate must be an African descendant living in the Diaspora.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of experience related to the human rights of People of African Descent.
- The candidate must be fluent in the English language to be able to participate fully in the programme.
- The candidate is nominated by an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights.Participant’s EntitlementEach fellow is entitled to a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva, basic health insurance, and a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
The selection of the fellows will reflect gender and regional balance. The human rights situation of People of African Descent in the respective countries will also be taken into consideration.
How to Apply?
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in a single e-mail to africandescent [at] ohchr.org or by fax to +41 22 928 90 50:
- A Curriculum Vita.
- A completed Application Form baring original signature of both the candidate and nomination organization.
- A Personal Statement (maximum 500) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use what they learn to advocate for the protection and promotion of the human rights of people of African descent.
- An Official Letter of Support from the nominating organization or community
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.Name any attached document as follows:Last Name First Name – Type of Document
- Example: SMITH Jacqueline – Application form.doc
- SMITH Jacqueline – A Personal Statement.doc
- SMITH Jacqueline – Letter of Support.pdf
- SMITH Jacqueline – Passport.pdfFor more information, and fellowships application details, see: Fellowships for People of African Descent