Organization: International Organization for Migration
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Under the direct supervision of Project Officer, the incumbent will be in charge of the implementation and coordination of all project activities taking place in Mae Sot in the context of the EU-funded project “Promoting stability, well-being and harmony for Myanmar Muslims and host communities in Thailand” (DCI-ASIE/2015/369-583).
The Field Coordinator will be based in IOM’s Mae Sot Office and will be reporting to the project’s Project Officer in Bangkok and will be leading a team of four: one Field Assistant(G2), one Field Community Worker(G1) and two Junior Field Community Workers (daily contract).
The project will target the continued vulnerabilities and needs of marginalised Myanmar Muslims (including Rohingyas) as well as disadvantaged Thais in host communities located in the provinces of Tak (Mae Sot), Ranong and Phang Nga. The project activities aim to create stability and harmony by improving living conditions and access to services; standardizing response and care; and, creating coherence and predictability in policy, practice and programming that contribute to the overall wellbeing of this vulnerable group and its host community.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
The successful candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide support to the project staff based in Bangkok for the implementation of the Annual Work plans, Project Steering Committee meetings, monitoring and evaluation as well as communication and visibility activities.
- Manage the field-based project staff in Mae Sot to ensure timely implementation and achievement of project activities and results in accordance with Annual Work plans and project objectives.
- Assist in forming and strengthening networks of government and non-government stakeholders to support the provision of long-term support to the project’s beneficiaries. Meet regularly with local relevant stakeholders, including government agencies, NGOs and CBOs, to coordinate on-going interventions between the actors and develop and strengthen existing and new networks with relevant stakeholders and local communities.
- Draft monthly narrative and financial reports to the Project Officer in Bangkok on project implementation progress, next steps and challenges encountered in Mae Sot as well as on meeting outcomes and discussions with local counterparts.
- Submit payment requests, receipts, and other required financial documentation, and prepare expenditure reports based on cash transactions on a regular basis.
- Assist in the monitoring, the procurement, delivery and/or installation of the materials and services, with a particularly emphasis on the quality and effectiveness of the materials and services being provided to meet and exceed donor standards.
- Coordinate and provide in-the-field logistical support when necessary to project staff from other field offices, e.g. for steering committee meetings and monitoring and evaluation activities.
- In coordination with the project team in Bangkok, verify that the donor’s visibility requirements are met including any communications activities (e.g. press briefing, press notes, etc.) that may be requested.
- Undertake duty travel to Bangkok or other relevant provinces to assist in the implementation of the project activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Field coordinator of Mae Sot.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agree.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- University Degree in international relations, political science, social science, environmental management, public health, with at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelors’ degree with at least four years.
- Experience with an international or intergovernmental organization working on issues related to migrant populations in Thailand.
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with government officials and in coordinating activities with NGOs and government partners. Experience in sectors such as health, legal aid, education, livelihoods, protection assistance an advantage.
- Field community experience especially in terms of organizing and coordinating surveys, workshops and trainings.
- Experience in working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels.
Fluency in English and Thai are required. Knowledge of Burmese or other languages spoken by Burmese Muslims is a strong asset.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications along with a duly completed IOM Personal History Form to the IOM Bangkok Human Resources Unit at e-mail email@example.com by April 01, 2019 at the latest. The form can be downloaded from http://thailand.iom.int/sites/default/files/Recruitment/IOM%20Personal%2… Kindly indicate the reference code SVN014/2019 followed by your full name in the subject line.
Applications should include: a) a cover letter, indicating the dates of availability; b) a curriculum vitae; c) a duly completed IOM Personal History Form (may be downloaded from http://thailand.iom.int/).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.