Cordaid South Sudan is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines 100 years of experience and expertise in emergency aid and structural poverty eradication. Cordaid South Sudan believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion tear up societies, we connect people and communities. We also stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders, to make a difference where it is most needed. Together with more than 600 partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations – the bottom billion.
Cordaid South Sudan has been active in South Sudan for more than 20 years, with a strong focus on civil society capacity-building. Currently it has programs in the area of Emergency Response, DRR, Health, Food Security, Security & Justice, Women Leadership and Investments.
Presently, Cordaid South Sudan is expanding its program in different parts of the country. For that purpose, additional capacity is required. Therefore, Cordaid South Sudan would like to recruit for the position of
Based in Kodok with frequent field travel
The Field Coordinator reports to the Programme Manager – Resilience and Livelihoods.
Purpose of the position
The Field Coordinator primary focus is to manage and coordinate implementation of the livelihoods project aiming at strengthening smallholders’ resilience. S/he will lead the project team based in Kodok and in partnership with local NGO in the former Upper Nile State. His/her responsibilities will include but not limited to:
Responsibilities and accountability
Project Management (45%)
- Provide programmatic and technical leadership for resilience, disaster risk reduction and food security projects in the former Upper Nile state.
- Strive for exploring effective measures in support of development of small business development, agro-enterprise, micro-finance/banking, and/or livelihoods development.
- Ensure effective planning, implementation and reporting of project activities, contributing to the attainment of project outcomes.
- Devise tools for planning and tracking of progress with regular update. Ensure timely communication with supervisor and donor on changes.
- Ensure project budgets and usage in assigned location are conducted appropriately in accordance with donor commitment and agency guidelines and policies.
- Guide field staff and local partner(s) in assigned location and ensure the project implementation is in line with project objectives and budget and provide necessary support when needed in accordance with donor commitment and agency guidelines and policies.
- Ensure the cross- cutting issues such as climate change adaption and gender mainstreaming are well addressed in the project implementation process.
- Support partner NGO’s capacity building for quality project implementations.
- Regularly communicate with the team and engage team members in key decision making.
Monitoring, evaluation, accountability, reporting, and learning (15%)
- Develop the overall framework for the project’s M&E systems in assigned location, in collaboration with the technical team based in Juba.
- Guide field staff on the M&E approach and strategy; lead work related monitoring and evaluation activities of the project in in assigned location.
- Develop and manage the project database (forms, tools, monitoring systems) which track all activities, progress, GPS of locations, details on the operation activities provided, distribution partners, disaggregated beneficiary data by number and sex, performance of target groups, etc. This should also fit with the donor reporting requirement (e.g. CIIS).
- Document successes, failures, lessons learned, and stories from the field activities.
- Submission bi-weekly update and monthly report of the project.
- Follow-up with local partner(s) to ensure their submission of reports, both narrative and financial, as per requirement, templates standards and deadlines stipulated in the MOUs.
- Provide reporting, both narrative and financial, according to donor and Cordaid reporting requirement, templates, standards and deadlines.
- Ensure accountability measures for beneficiaries applied in all projects.
- Ensure accountability of the project activities and standard reporting.
- Promote cross learning for the resilience and food security with local authorities, I/NGOs and relevant stakeholders.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement and provide recommendations.
- Conduct field monitoring and provide technical support and guidance.
Operations Management for the Malakal Office (30%)
- Overview of operations management of Cordaid services in former Upper Nile state where required.
- Ensure team meetings are periodically conducted in the field and priority issues shared with the Programme Manager. Be the bridge of two-way communication between Country Office and field team members.
- Manage staff reporting to this position to ensure effective delivery of work and manage the staff performance.
- Impact constant learning and capacity building of the staff in the field and ensure to build on staff skills and proficiency from the gap and needs identified
- Ensure program staff has regular reflection on progress toward goals, and get insights from the field on the effectiveness of the program’s approach
- Ensure all HR functions are performed according to agency policies and regulations (e.g. staff appraisal, leave management, payroll, etc).
- Ensure human resources contractual issues are as per the South Sudan Labour Act and the donor programme and budget requirements.
- Supervisor the Field Finance Officer to ensure full compliance of agency policies and regulations. Ensure smooth accounting workflow in support to projects. Keep track of spending and provide monthly reconciliation. Ensure all financial supporting documents are in place for all transactions.
- Ensure logistics processes in the field are in full compliance to agency policies and regulations, including procurement, and other aspects of project administration. Ensure constant communication with the Logistics focal point in Juba for smooth logistics processes (procurement, transportation, fleet management, accommodation/rental) as per requirement.
- Act as Field Security Focal Point, and strictly follow agency security protocols
- Undertake Cordaid work in a manner that upholds the organisational value and integrity, and dignity and value for beneficiaries. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in line with the Humanitarian Code of Conduct and related policies (e.g. Anti-Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct Against Sexual Abuse). Enforce the field team observe such policies, so as to ensure field actions will bring credit to Cordaid and not to jeopardize its missions.
Partnership, Representation and Coordination, Acquisition (10%)
- Represent Cordaid (as delegated by CD/PM) to engage with institutions at the state and county level, including UN agencies, state and county government, I/NGO on sectors where Cordaid is supporting.
- Actively participate in NGO, INGO, and UN Cluster meetings in the designated area, as and when required. Coordinate with sub-clusters and relevant platforms in promoting synergies and avoiding duplication.
- Liaise frequently with UN agencies, cluster and other NGOs working in the assigned area.
- Coordinate closely with all other Cordaid service units working in the same project location, actively work on synergies across service units.
- As required, prepare project documentations and other materials to develop or promote synergy among teams, and contribute to proposals writing for new projects.
Qualifications and skills
- Masters’ Degree in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Environmental Studies, International Development, Disaster Risk Management or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum seven years’ experience working within international development, including direct experience in fragile and post conflict environments in a development country.
- Demonstrated ability in managing grants and projects, including project design, proposal development, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluations.
- At least 5 years’ experience working with disaster risk reduction, climate change adaption and resilience building programs and/or projects. Experience in community managed/based disaster risk reduction, farmer’s field school approaches is an asset.
- Proven track record for leading the development of high documents for internal and external communications’ including donor reports.
- Proven track record of donor contract management and good awareness of EU donor contract requirements.
- Demonstrated experience exploring, managing and strengthening partnerships.
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills – innovative thinker.
- Ability to cope in a challenging environment, or to deal with challenging situations
- Experience developing and leading trainings, workshops, evaluations. etc.
- Ability to create a team environment and coordinate with other departments
- Ability to manage time, prioritize tasks, respond quickly to requests.
- Excellent communications, inert-personal and problem solving skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Be diplomatic, culturally sensitive, result-oriented, innovative and a strong team player.
Further information and how to apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter including CV in English, National ID and qualification documents, both phone and email contact details of at least 4 professional references, including most recent/current employer/supervisor to the following email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mention the vacancy reference number and position in the subject line.
e.g. CSS04/02/2020 Field Coordinator
Deadline for submission is by the 28th February 2020
Cordaid is an equal opportunity employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
An integrity check will be part of recruitment procedure All applications submitted cannot be returned.