Organization: Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services
Europe/Middle East and Central Asia Region
Position Title: Field Officer – MEAL
Department: Basic Education Project
Compensation Band: Band 5
Reports to: Senior Project Officer – MEAL
Country/Location: Egypt – Maadi Office
The CRS Egypt country program began in 1956 at the invitation of the Egyptian president Nasser by providing relief assistance to the victims of the Suez War. Over the following few decades, CRS Egypt moved from large-scale food relief to long-term poverty alleviation and development programs. CRS Egypt works in a wide variety of areas within the development field.
Currently, CRS Egypt has three main programs: the livelihoods program, interfaith peacebuilding program and the education assistance program for refugees. Projects under these programs range from the provision of technical assistance and capacity building to partners, and promoting peace and tolerance, to educational grants for refugees, and the protection of children who are victims of trafficking. Additional programming includes Emergency Preparedness and Response projects that arise as need be. A regional Management Quality unit assists the country program support department in developing and maintaining the highest level of operations standards.
CRS Egypt currently holds a main office in Cairo, and a sub-office in Maadi.
As part of education program, the basic education project supports over 30,000 refugees and asylum seekers children with access to education through a financial grant program and improves the quality of education received by students through a variety of non-formal educational activities and initiatives to improve the learning environment of students. These two components of the annual program require a substantial full-time staff as well as volunteers who assist in project implementation periodically throughout the year.
You will assist project MEAL activities implementation, under the supervision of the Senior Project Officer, by working directly with partners, vendors, refugee communities, and host communities coordinating various project MEAL activities and events in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work to serve the refugees and asylum seekers in Egypt. Your service and community relations skills ensure that the partners and communities feed into and benefit from the project that consistently applies best practices and continuously works towards improving the education opportunities available for refugees and asylum seekers in Egypt.
· Support the implementation, coordination and monitoring of project MEAL activities at the field level, ensuring implementation schedules are met as per the detailed activity plan, and that adherence to systems for quality project implementation are strengthened.
· Coordinate communication and facilitate information sharing among the project team, partners, project beneficiaries and other stakeholders in strengthening the refugee communities’ interests, involvement and support networks.
· Collects quality data using MEAL tools on a timely basis.
· Manages the education program database to ensure accessibility and reliability of information.
· Contributes to reflective community-based conversations on ongoing project interventions.
· Shares insights and perspectives based on observations and interactions with community members, colleagues and stakeholders.
· In coordination with the project team support capacity building events for project beneficiaries, partners and other relevant stakeholders.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Support:
· Compile data provided at the activity level as per project requirements and contribute to the preparation of reports.
· Supports MEAL system to ensure accessibility and reliability of information
· Communicates key project information and results with community members, colleagues and stakeholders
· Contributes to reflective conversations on ongoing project interventions
· Shares insights and perspectives based on observations and interactions with community members, colleagues and stakeholders
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
· Graduate degree in a directly related field.
· 2 years of work or volunteer experience in community development and mobilization.
· Additional education may substitute for some experience.
· Computer skills required.
· Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
· Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
· Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language: Excellent command in English and Arabic.
Travel Required: Job requires travel to field (defined as outside of Cairo metropolitan area), Upper and Lower Egypt, to implement and assist partners and follow up projects (approximately 20%). More frequent travel required to sites within Cairo metropolitan area.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Volunteers (if any)
Internal: All education team members, Education Program Administration Team, and CRS support functions (finance, procurement, IT, HR and Admin).
External: Community Members (refugees/asylum seekers and host communities), Ministry of Education in Egypt, UNHCR Implementing Partners.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Trusting Relationships
· Professional Growth
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer