Location:Remote with travel to field sites in Africa, Asia and the Middle East
Duration:Approximately 12 months (flexible)
Reports to:Senior Director of Development and Communications
Start Date:February 11, 2019
About RI:About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI is seeking a talented professional photographer to document RI’s work in fragile settings around the globe as part of a fixed-term contract to aid RI’s organizational communications and fundraising priorities.
Scope of Work:
The photographer will visit a series of Relief International program sites in Asia, Africa and the Middle East to take high quality photos of RI’s work for use in digital and print publications, marketing materials, press packets, the website, and for any other communications needs that may arise. The photographer chosen for this assignment will embark on a minimum of three international multi-country trips to field sites in Africa, Asia and/or the Middle East during the consultancy.
Tasks and Deliverables:
- Provide at least 500 high quality images per country visit to highlight RI’s programmatic work
- Provide sufficient descriptions to identify locations, program sites, and relevant individuals depicted in each photo (support for the consultant to also be provided by local field teams in this task)
- Organize images and captions into coherent structure for delivery to RI’s Communications and Development Team in a timely manner following the trip
- Coordinate the division of responsibilities (i.e. notetaking, consent, logistics, etc.) with RI’s Communications Focal Points who will accompany the photographer at the onset of each country visit
· Photographer must:
o Abide by Relief International’s consent policy and the organization’s Ethical Guidelines for Media.
o Gather and file with RI all required paperwork associated with above policies and guidelines.
o Complete RI required security training and abide by RI security protocols.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Minimum of five years professional experience in photography;
- Excellent project management skills and experience travelling internationally for nonprofit organizations working in highly vulnerable areas;
- Extensive knowledge of photography best practices and associated technology, including but not limited to Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, LightRoom, etc.), Microsoft Office;
- Outstanding proficiency in written communication skills and excellent interpersonal communications skills;
- Experience doing photography in fragile settings for an INGO highly desirable;
· Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Respect for staff and beneficiaries;
- Must be detail oriented;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Foreign language skills in Arabic, Turkish or Swahili a plus;
- Working knowledge of international development, international relations, or humanitarian relief is preferred.
Relief International’s Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
Transparency and accountability
Agility and innovation
Please apply at this link: