The Finance and Administration Manager oversees day-to-day effective and efficient management of all financial and administration activities and operations of the HIAS Aruba office. S/he ensures maintenance and high standards of accounting records, internal controls in accordance with International Accounting Standards, administration standards, Aruba laws and regulations, and executes established financial and administration policies and procedures. The Finance and Administration Manager directs all accounting functions, including general ledger, accounts payable, purchasing, payroll, bank reconciliations, audit, insurance, local tax reporting, and fixed assets at the Country level. S/he also ensures accurate and timely preparation of internal financial reports and submission for external reporting.
The Finance and Administration Manager will report directly into the Aruba Country Director with a dotted line into the Controller in HQ. S/he also works closely with HQ Finance team and Grants Compliance management team and oversees all Finance and Administration functions within in Aruba.
In addition, the Finance and Administration Manager will supervise HIAS Guyana Operations on a monthly basis and in accordance with the Controller instructions and the HQ Finance team (20%).
NOTE: Locations for this position include: Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, St. Marteen, Surinam, USA, Colombia and Panama.
Financial Statements and External Reporting:
- Oversees the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports.
- Ensures timely and accurate monthly close of General Ledger.
- Compiles cash flow forecast and forward monthly cash request to HQ on a timely basis.
- Ensures that financial reports for all donors, local compliance and HQ are submitted in a timely manner.
- Monitors country and field office cash flow to ensure there is adequate cash to fund operations.
Internal Controls and Compliance:
- Ensures compliance with all HIAS policies and procedures as outlined in policy manuals and in accordance with local statutory requirements.
- Oversees all financial audits of the operations in Aruba/Guyana.
- Ensures that financial transactions are coded correctly.
Budgets and Budgetary Controls:
- Works with the Country Director and program team in the preparation of country office budgets, program budgets and proposals.
- Prepares, analyzes and reports to the country director and HQ monthly budget vs actual analysis.
- Ensures controls of expenses assigned to grants and work directly with program managers and country director to manage actual expenses.
- Oversees all financial transactional activity, including; accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll and ensures that all financial transactions and journal entries are recorded accurately in accordance with organization policies, GAAP and governmental regulations.
- Reviews key monthly account analyses; bank reconciliations, G/L to subsidiary ledger reconciliation.
- Maintains structure and ensures maximization of accounting software.
- Ensures monthly closes are completed on a regular and timely basis.
- Supervises Finance and Administration Coordinator, Finance and Administration Assistant and Operation assistant.
Management and Capacity Building:
- Leads and overall oversight of the Finance Department and provides consistent leadership to department personnel through regular meetings, effective objective setting, delegation, and communication.
- Conducts regular training to HIAS Aruba/Guyana employees on financial policies and procedures and best practices.
- Conducts meetings to ensure that personnel are well informed of changes in programs, policies, and procedures.
- Communicates fiscal policies and procedures to all HIAS employees.
- Leads and participates in special projects that further the goals of the Accounting and Finance Department.
- Stays abreast of trends and changes in the accounting field and capacity builds department on such.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality regarding discussions and decisions made by Senior Management and takes all required actions to ensure that staff adhere to these requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance. Graduate degree a plus.
- CPA/Chartered Accountant certification preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years progressive NGO accounting experience in an international development environment.
- Knowledge of U.S. Government donations, and United Nations donor reporting regulations.
- Knowledge and expertise in Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains Accounting System is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills; the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues in diverse multi-cultural environments.
- High-level of organizational skills; the ability to be productive under pressure in a fast-paced teamwork environment.
- Flexible work attitude; the ability to work productively, independently and as a team member, and has the ability to meet unexpected demands.
- Fluency in English. Fluency in Dutch is an advantage.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religious creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, age, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should complete the application form at HIAS careers page https://www.hias.org/who/career-and-internship-opportunities.