DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
Supports the preparation of financial statements and maintenance of cash controls. Works within the financial procedures of DRC, municipal policies and procedures and in compliance with all national acts and legislation. The Finance Assistant supports the Finance Officer with reports for senior management in country.
- Archive and Filling
- Receipt of all paid documents, recording, stamping and reviewing of completion of documents
- Scanning finance documents on monthly basis and submitting for review before 20th of the following month
- Ensure recording and filled IRDA, POA, Signature verification and other compliance documents
- Maintain adequate filing system of Financial documents
- Proper maintenance and cleanliness of the archive room
- Timely retrieval of documents for audit assignments, recording them and ensuring they are returned to archives
- Cash Management
- Support the Finance Officer to Ensure weekly cash forecast/requirements are compiled for all departments and shared with Head of Base
- Support the Finance Officer to Follow up with the bank on receipt of funds from Country Office.
- Ensure adequate Petty cash is kept in office to cater small time expenditures as per the Finance procedures.
- Processing payment and ensure all cheque and receipts are kept
- Accounting Management
- Conduct daily cash counts for office and submit the cash count sheets to HoB/HoFA.
- Prepare monthly cash counts for office on last working day of the month and submit to Finance office/Area finance coordinator
- Support the Finance Officer to update commitment cash book in coordination with Administration, Procurement/Logistics departments, bi-weekly to ensure all Finance obligations are entered in cash book.
- Support the Finance Officer from updating project journals as per the Finance calendar
- Ensure that statutory deductions are paid to relevant authorities on time to avoid any penalties.
- Support the Finance Officer in liaison with Logistics department, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports.
- Record to Finance books any documents submitted for payments
- Serve as technical resource person for the Finance department.
- Produce monthly and quarterly reports as required by HoB/HoFA/management as and when required.
- Assist in budget preparation at field level.
- Report to the HoB any irregularities that occur within the DRC office, staff compound and sites on DRC policy and procedures.
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director/HoFA/RO and HQ.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience, education and technical competencies
· University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration. (Technical College (Govt. approved) or Diploma.
· Minimum of 1-year work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
· Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas
· Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: February 2020
Duty station: Beletweyne, Somalia
Reporting to: Base Team Leader.
Duration: 7 months contract with possibility of extension.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 8th February 2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.