organization:Danish Refugee Council
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. The Horn of Africa and Yemen regional office is based in Nairobi with country programmes in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Yemen. Non-operational region wide initiatives, focusing on advocacy and capacity building are supported from the Nairobi regional office. Using a rights-based approach, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict.
Somalia program currently has over 300 staff working in five main program offices across Somalia. The main field program offices include Hargeisa, Bossaso, Galkacyo, Mogadishu, Dollow and Beletweyne as well as eleven smaller offices. DRC Somalia implements broad emergency and recovery programming, which include protection, livelihoods, and food security, water and sanitation, local governance.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The post holder supports the preparation of financial statements and maintenance of cashbook and controls. Works within the financial procedures of DRC, municipal policies and procedures and in compliance with all national acts and legislation. The Finance Assistant supports the Finance Officer with reports for senior management in the area office.
Archive and Filling
- Receipt of all paid documents, recording, stamping and reviewing of completion of documents
- Scanning finance documents on monthly basis and submitting for review before 20th of the following month
- Ensure recording and filled IRDA, LPOA, Signature verification and other compliance documents
- Maintain adequate filing system of financial documents
- Proper maintenance and cleanliness of the archive room
- Timely retrieval of documents for audit assignments, recording them and ensuring they are returned to archives
- Support the Finance Officer to ensure weekly cash forecast/requirements are compiled for all departments and shared with Head of Base
- Support the Finance Officer to follow up with the bank on receipt of funds from Country Office.
- Ensure adequate Petty cash is kept in office to cater minor expenditures as per the Finance procedures.
- Processing payment and ensure all cheque and receipts are kept.
- Conduct daily cash counts for office and submit the cash count sheets to FM/CFCs.
- Prepare monthly cash counts for office on last working day of the month and submit to Finance office/ finance coordinator
- Support the Finance Officer to prepare cashbook for office as per the Finance calendar
- Support the Finance Officer to ensure that statutory deductions are paid to relevant authorities on time to avoid any penalties.
- Support the Finance Officer in liaison with Logistics department, prepare commitment lists every month for financial obligations already entered into but not captured in financial reports.
- Record to Finance books any documents submitted for payments
- Serve as technical resource person for the Finance department.
- Produce monthly and quarterly reports as required by HoB/FM/management as and when required.
- Assist in budget preparation at field level.
- Report to the HoB any irregularities that occur within the DRC office, staff compound and sites on DRC policy and procedures.
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director/HoSS/RO and HQ.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience, education and technical competencies
- Diploma or equivalent professional qualification in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration.
- Minimum 1-year work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an INGO, LNGO or the commercial sector.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Proven commitment to accountability practices. Substantial within carrying out actual Finance process
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in local spoken languages.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
·Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
·Collaborating:You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
·Taking the lead:You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
·Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
·Demonstrating integrity:You act in line with our vision and values.
Duty station:Mogadishu with frequent travel to field offices
Reporting to: Finance Coordinator
Duration:1-year contract with possibility of extension subject to performance.
Contract:This position is graded as G6 (NM-I) for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visitwww.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form onwww.drc.ngounder Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application onwww.drc.ngounder Vacancies no later than29 January, 2019.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.