Contract duration: 12 months (w/ 3 month trial period)
Location/Duty Station: Remote possible, Washington, D.C. preferable
Projected start date: June 2019
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
About Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 150,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
The Finance Associate/Accountant is a part-time job (~20 hours/week) reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration. Primary duties include managing the organization’s accounts payable (AP) and actively strengthening the organization’s adherence to proper accounting policies & procedures. The position is an opportunity to significantly impact the efficiency of an ambitious, growing non-profit and will provide exposure to non-profit management. There are opportunities for involvement in humanitarian response and economic development activities alongside day-to-day responsibilities, and opportunities for international travel to offices in Africa and/or Asia.
This position is US-based, with a strongly preferred location in the metro DC region. On a day-to-day basis, the position will be split between HOT’s downtown DC office and working from home.
- Basic Finance Responsibilities:
- Accounts Payable – Enter bills, expenses, payroll into accounting software; manage bi-monthly AP runs; pay vendors and contractors.
- Accounts Receivable – Track and prepare invoices.
- Month End Closing Procedures – Bank reconciliations, finalize monthly reports.
- Actively participate in strengthening the quality and accuracy of HOT’s accounts.
- Manage timesheets and process payroll for employees and contractors.
- Support project financial reporting.
- Participate in annual budgeting process.
- Assist in year-end organizational audit and project audits.
- Prepare 1099s and donor acknowledgement letters.
- Support the development of policies and procedures at the organization.
- Other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Degree in accounting or equivalent
- A solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- An understanding of financial management and accounting in nonprofit organizations
- 3-5 years experience in international NGO accounting, particularly looking for experience:
- Managing US federal funding
- Working with remote/virtual teams
- Coordinating between international field and HQ offices
- Familiarity with accounting software, preferably Quickbooks
- Detail-oriented & able to employ critical thinking to solve problems
- Flexible, honest and reliable
- Experience living internationally a plus
Conditions and Benefits
- Assignment on contractor basis.
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. Salaries and pay rates at HOT are determined by an open framework: please see https://www.hotosm.org/salaries
- HOT is a leader in flexible working arrangements. As a young, innovative, and open organization, we provide ample space and opportunity for personal initiative and growth. **
Please complete the 2-part application form linked here-
Be sure to continue to the second part to upload your CV/resume.