GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE PROGRAM
Big Heart Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organization founded in 2013, filling gaps in the response to the ongoing conflict in Syria – providing humanitarian aid to conflict affected populations including essential food and Non-Food Item (NFI), Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Livelihoods, and Education services. We specialize in the delivery of targeted aid to highly vulnerable populations in the hardest to reach and correspondingly most underserved areas of Syria.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
Reporting to the Director of Operations & Finance, the Finance Coordinator shall have overall policy and management responsibility for the finance, accounting, budgeting and reporting functions within all Big Heart areas of operation. The Finance Coordinator’s responsibilities include general controllership, staff training, management, treasury, budget and reporting functions. The Finance Coordinator shall directly supervise multiple staff in accounting, budgeting, reporting, and treasury/cashier functions.
Employee will be located in Cyprus, with frequent travel to Turkey, and will report to the Director of Finance and Operations. The contract is full-time for 6 months with extension possible. The foreseen start date is 15 February 2019.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Finance and Accounting
- Oversee the entire finance and accounting functions including but not limited to:
- Oversee document maintenance and booking
- Preparation of books
- Preparation of Bank and Cash reconciliations for all operational areas
- Verify monthly bank reconciliations by the 10th of each month.
- Prepare financial reports, both internal and donor, according to internal and donor standards.
- Oversee the timely and accurate posting of budgets and entries.
- Oversee cost allocation systems in accordance to donor regulations.
- Verify system’s reconciliation and verifying system’s balances.
- Generation of accounting reports.
- Preparation of Management Reports.
- Dissemination of Management Reports.
- Oversee timely preparation of payroll for all areas of operations.
2. Budgeting & Reporting
- Coordinate the timely, accurate and complete project budget submissions and revisions and assist in the preparation and revision of program and grant proposals and budgets.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of the Big Heart operating budget; including preparation of budget guidelines to assist program managers in formulating budgets.
- In compliance with donor requirements and Big Heart policy, develop a field Indirect Cost Recovery (ICR) and Overhead budget, and recommend a methodology for allocation of overhead to grant budgets.
- Monitor expenditure against such budgets and highlight/address over or under-budget expenditure situations – present and facilitate the review of Budget-Vs-Actual (BVA) expenditures with the Big Heart leadership and program managers.
- Track and analyse general and specific monthly budgetary issues, in cooperation with all departments and especially with the Director Operations and Finance, Head of Programs and the Country Director.
- Oversee the preparation of, and present, monthly budget follow-up to the coordination and operational cells raising alerts and making recommendations for corrective actions.
- On monthly basis, meet with the Senior Management Team (SMT) to review overall performance and implementation levels and discuss short term strategies.
- Report monthly on the financial status of programmes to the SMT.
- Supervise all country office bank relations and bank account activities including negotiation of fees, interest and currency exchange rates.
- Oversee the consolidation of monthly cash requirements for all locations and ensuring timely information to the Director of Finance and Operations.
- Ensure smooth cash flow between HQ, donors, country office and the field offices. Establish country policies on advance payments, credit terms, and use of bank payment instruments.
- Supervise the preparation of cash transfer request and ensure that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation.
- Ensure the development and implementation of a plan to minimize the country’s foreign exchange exposure to currency gains and losses.
- Lead and coordinate preparation for internal and external audits, financial reviews and organisational capacity assessments / evaluations.
- Reviewing and addressing questions of concern from auditors in consultation with Director of Finance and Operations and other relevant senior management team members.
5. Systems, Compliance and Procedures
- Ensure the existence of proper financial systems that facilitate the recording, accounting and production of accurate financial reports, meet Big Heart’s internal control requirements and safeguard its assets.
- Ensure that financial procedures are followed by all units, and systems developed to accommodate the needs of the entire operation.
- Continually review and manage implementation of financial management strategies, policies and procedures.
- Continuously review and communicate cost control systems and procedures, including expenditure, authorisation protocols and monitor operations to ensure compliance.
- Work closely with the Senior Finance Officer/Accountant in the elaboration of internal financial controls.
- Ensure compliance with taxation and statutory requirements including preparing and managing VAT, PAYE and other statutory and/ or donor requirements to ensure compliance.
- Document practices including up to date finance and procurement manual in consultation with Director of Finance and Operations.
6. Team management and capacity development
- Ensure that the Finance teams in all areas of operation understand and follow Big Heart processes, policies and procedures, which are aligned with donor requirements.
- Conduct on-the-job and formal training, and develop capacity of the Finance team.
- Implement and oversee the application of Big Heart’s performance management for the Finance team.
- Must have managed a team of 5 or more finance and accounting staff.
- Must have experience in handling finance and accounting functions in multiple international currencies.
- A proven track record of exceeding goals utilizing both results-based and process-based objectives; evidence of ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful budget management; ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; problem solving, and creative resourcefulness.
- A commitment to staff training and development, with an ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity,developing a top-notch workforce and processes to ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Ability to seek, identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management appropriate to effect solutions.
- Ability to function effectively in a complex and dynamic work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements.
- Ability to work in a sometimes-stressful environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting,, Commerce or Finance is required. A Master’s degree in Finance would be desirable.
- Recognized professional certification, such as CPA, CA, CMA, ACMA, ACCA or CFA would be highly preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience out of which a minimum five (5) years’ of managerial experience in the financial area of a non-profit organization or three years of managerial experience in finance in an international commercial organization.
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems preferably to have an experience in using QuickBooks, standard spreadsheet and database programs.
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language. Strong reading, writing and verbal Arabic skills will be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of donor requirement compliance (such as ECHO, USAID, etc.) would be highly desirable.
Please send a CV and a covering letter to Tom Mayne, Big Heart HR Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.