Organization: Mercy Corps
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives. Recognizing both the great potential and the complex challenges faced by the Middle East, since 1989 Mercy Corps has been implementing a range of humanitarian assistance and development programs tailored to the specific needs of the region and of those communities where we work.
General Position Summary
The Finance Manager for North-East Syria is a member of the North-East Syria (NES) senior management team, and, as such, is responsible for all aspects of financial management of NES programs, working collaboratively with program teams to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures and donor regulations. S/he works under the direction of Finance Director and is responsible for accounting, payments, payroll, budget management and financial reporting. The Finance Manager, in support of the Program Department, provides timely reports and assistance to the Program Director and the program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Essential Job Responsibilities
OPERATIONS – FINANCIAL
- Ensure effective, transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Manage day-to-day financial operations of Derik office and oversee financial operations of all NES field offices.
- Provide a financial review of expenditures and commitments to ensure appropriate coding and budgetary and policy compliance.
- Ensure timely follow up and processing of the payment requests from program and operations.
- Maintain IMTA (Internal Money Transfer Agent) relations and plan and monitor NES cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of Mercy Corps programs
- Maintain the spreadsheet for tracking all IMTA payments for NES and provide weekly reports on all outstanding payments and reasons and mitigation plans.
- Oversee and lead the maintenance of Field Connect/Navigator accounting system and ensure accurate and timely data entry and accounting processing.
- Coordinate monthly standard accounting submission to Amman regional office, including general ledger files, accounts reconciliations and other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Support month-end and year-end close-out process including balance sheet and assets reconciliation and archiving of financial files.
- Analyze monthly spending and alert program and senior management in NES and Amman on any significant variances.
- Based on the BvAs generated by HQ, prepare and update pipelines with projections, in close coordination with program team.
- Hold monthly BvA meetings to discuss spending patterns with program team and help prepare mitigation plans.
- Support Amman based Grants and Compliance unit in developing annual fiscal year budget as well as developing and implementing grant budgeting and forecasting systems for NES.
- Support Sub-awards and Compliance unit based in Beirut in the oversight and financial management of the NES partners and provide day-to-day supervision to the Sub-Awards and Compliance Officer.
- Ensure adequate segregation of duties and internal controls in Derik office and other NES locations.
- Assist internal and external auditing process as appropriate.
- Directly supervise all NES finance and accounting staff.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Participate in sharing best practices with NGOs and governmental agencies.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
All Finance staff in North East Syria; technical/dotted line supervision of Fund Transfer Officers in the whole of Syria.
Reports Directly To: Finance Director, with dotted line to the NES Program Director
Works Directly With: NES program and operations teams, the whole of Syria Finance Department, HQ Regional Finance Officer
Knowledge and Experience
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance required; advanced degree preferred.
- At least 5 years of progressive financial management experience, solid supervisor experience.
- Experience in grants management and understanding of OFDA, EC, ECHO, DFID and other major donor regulations.
- International experience, including in complex programs in insecure zone. Middle East experience is preferred.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet is required. Experience with Navigator accounting system is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Experience of working with Informal Money Transfer Agencies and excellent negotiating and communications skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills, effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Previous experience in insecure environments
The successful candidate will have an ability to interact effectively across international and national program and finance teams successfully, both in a managerial as well as training capacity. S/he will be able to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information, have a demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities. An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics and the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The Finance Manager must be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Derik, Syria and requires up to 40% travel to other locations in the country. This position is unaccompanied and is eligible for hardship and R&R benefits. Living conditions are in group housing: water, electricity and internet are present with some cuts.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.