Contract duration: 12 months, option of extension based on funding availability
Reports to: Country Manager
Starting date: July 2019
The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a U.S.-based NGO that applies the principles of open data sharing for humanitarian response and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. Free, up-to-date maps are a critical resource when relief organizations are responding to disasters or political crises. The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) creates and provides those maps.
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team seeks an energetic, experienced and self-motivated candidate with a strong background in finance and accounting.
The Uganda Finance Manager will report to the Director of Finance & Administration. This position is responsible for the financial oversight of the Uganda office and has potential for additional responsibility in the East Africa region. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
- Direct management of the Uganda finance office
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting function in the Uganda finance office: recording and reporting cash flow transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, month close, financial reporting, etc.
- Lead the Uganda office annual budget creation and participate in project budget development
- Prepare and submit monthly fund requests and financial reports
- Manage payroll, taxes, and other NGO compliance filings
- Participation in establishing international financial policies & procedures alongside the Director of Finance & Admin
- Create financial procedures to implement fiscal policies in the Uganda office, related to banking, accounts receivable & accounts payable, procurement, financial controls & reporting, and government compliance
- Ongoing oversight of adherence to fiscal policies through monthly reviews and internal audits.
- Training of finance personnel and provision of financial support to office management in Uganda (with possibility of further training responsibility in the East Africa region)
- Participate in monthly calls with the Director of Finance & Administration
- Carry out other finance-related duties as requested by supervisor
Qualifications (About You):
- Degree in accounting or equivalent
- An understanding of financial management and accounting in nonprofit organizations
- 3-5 years experience in international NGO accounting, particularly looking for experience:
* Managing large grants and contracts
* Working with remote/virtual teams
* Coordinating between field offices
* Experience with US federal government regulations
* Familiarity with accounting software, preferably Quickbooks
* Experience developing and/or implementing finance policies & procedures
- Detail-oriented & able to employ critical thinking to solve problems
- Honest and reliable
To apply please complete the two-part application form. Please continue to the second page to upload your CV and a brief cover letter.