Organization: Mission East
Position Title: Finance Officer (ASAP)
Position scope: Full-time, 6 months renewable
Responsible to: Finance Director
Functional reporting of: Field finance staff, Head Office administration
Mission East, founded in Denmark in 1991, is an international non-governmental relief and development organisation which works to help the vulnerable through humanitarian relief aid, development assistance, the linking of relief, rehabilitation and development and through supporting communities’ capacities to organise and assist themselves. Mission East has field operations in Afghanistan, Armenia, Iraq, Nepal and Tajikistan and home offices in Copenhagen, Berlin and Brussels.
More information on Mission East and its work can be found at: www.miseast.org.
Provides high-quality support to the finance department of the organisation, this includes; preparations of Budgets, Reports, Accounts, and improvement of finance systems and processes.
Key tasks and responsibilities
A. Field accounting:
• Control the quality of the monthly accounts for each programme
• Responsible for ensuring accurate data mapping between field accounting and head office accounting systems.
• Responsible for ensuring the application of Mission East’s financial policies and procedures across field locations, including during visits as required.
• Ensure that all donor financial reporting requirements are complied with and that project reports are submitted in a timely manner.
• Ensure that donor reports reconcile to Mission East accounts.
• Provide support to each country finance teams, including regular travels to the field as required
• Together with the field finance teams, develop country and project budgets.
B. HQ accounting
• Provide ongoing support to Finance Director with Head Office Accounting, including monthly and yearly accounting closure and with the preparation of financial reports to the board of ME, MED and AM
• Responsible to prepare all needed documents for HQ financial Audits
• Support Finance Director in the development and implementation of head office accounting systems and manuals.
• In charge of the cash and bank payments of the Brussels office
Necessary Competencies / Experience
Key skills/ characteristics required:
• Proven experience of NGO accounting and grant reporting
• Experience with Quickbooks is a strong asset
• Qualified accountant (CA/ CIMA or recognised equivalent) or other higher education degree with 5+ years of proven financial management experience
• Analytical and strategic planning skills and ability to handle multiple priorities
• Ability to perform independently, with strong sense of task prioritization and time management in a fast-paced working environment
• Good remote management skills of personnel, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with sensitivity to cultural differences
• Ability to work with distance management with a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
• Ability to present information and concepts clearly, both verbally and in writing. Fluency in English, spoken and written required.
• Advanced skills with MS Excel. Proficiency with MS Word. Experience in using Quickbooks or equivalent systems and use of MS Access databases is an advantage.
• Administrative experience with knowledge of establishing and maintaining office systems.
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate: Commitment to the vision and values of Mission East.
To apply for this position, please visit: www.miseast.org/sw4156.asp where you will be able to complete an application form.
Please ensure that all sections are fully answered as candidates will be initially screened using data submitted on the online form.
Deadline for applications is 29/10/2018, Mission East may process applications prior to this date, we therefore invite interested applicants to submit their applications asap.