About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Uganda since 2006, focusing its interventions on economic and agricultural development, maternal child health and nutrition, governance, conflict management and humanitarian response. In 2017, Mercy Corps had an impact on almost 1 million beneficiaries in Uganda through our work focusing on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improving governance and conflict management. Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development, gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private sector and civil society actors. .
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of Snr Finance Officer/Finance Manager, the field finance Officer is responsible for Reviews, budget monitoring, reporting, resources management, coordination with others. He/she is also responsible for compliance with Donor and MC internal policies and timely submission of quality reports as required.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Supervision of Finance Assistants in their field officer Location.
- Review of PRs, Contracts and Payments to ensure coding follows the standard chart of accounts, coded budget/BVA and that all expenditure is complaint to Donor and MC internal policies.
- Ensure/match invoices/receipts, completion reports with GRN and other required documents.
- Review cash transactions on a daily basis and enter all Bank transactions, making sure they meet all donor and MC standards.
- Coordinate, prepare and submit weekly and monthly cash requirement for field offices, to ensure sufficient cash is available, monitor its use and ensure there is no excess cash.
- Collect, analyze and consolidate monthly cash forecasts from program and support departments, and submit to SFO in Kampala office.
- Perform all timely and accurate financial procedures; i.e. bank reconciliations and cash counts are done as per the MCU SFFM.
- Make sure all income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are accurately computed and withheld accordingly.
- Facilitate monthly analysis of expenditure reports, coordination of meetings to review grant performance and grant projections.
- Coordinate with field Admins to collect and review all offices summary and individual staff timesheets and submit for payroll processing every month.
- Provide on-going orientation, training and support to Program and Finance staff on Mercy Corps and respective donor’s rules and regulations.
- Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
Finance Assistant in the assigned region.
Reports Directly To:SnrFinance Officer
Works Directly With:Program managers, field teams
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff member are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance is required.
- 3years experience in grants and financial management and accounting.
- Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
- Three years international NGO/PVO experience is preferred.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Applications:Submit your online application addressed to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda; by clicking on the following linkhttps://www.fuzu.com/jobs/finance-officer-to-be-based-in-gulu-mercycorps,clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates.Deadline for Submission:Close of business onThursday, 04th, October 2018.Subject of email should include the position you are applying for.Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.