DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, the Finance Specialist supports in reviewing expenses posted in DRC Dynamics, review budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead focal point between the area office finance staff and Finance Manager. The role of Finance Specialist is country-focus and acts as “Technical Focal Point” to area office finance and program staff on Finance aspects.
Accounting / Finance
- Review Bank Transfer requests from Field Offices before they are submitted through DRC Dynamics for CD approval.
- Review & submit IDRAs to Country Finance Manager and update the bank signatories, as and when required.
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the field offices and ensure that the cash requests are done on time.
- Monthly Expatriate salary allocation in SALT.
- Review monthly payroll and allocation for Time sheets.
- Coordinate with the area finance staff to ensure adequate liquidity request and compiled and forwarded to Finance Manager.
- Review X’s and follow up with area office Finance staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Support to Develop annual budgets for DDG/DRC Somalia offices (Master budget) and ensure all data are accurate.
- Monthly BFU/TDL reviews & monitor actual spending and advice AM/Program team to avoid overspend and plan on underspending.
- Review donor budgets from area operation offices & support AM and Finance staff on it.
- Support the Country Finance Manager in budget re-alignment
- Preparation of Interim/final donor reporting.
- Support to prepare Partner financial reporting.
- Support in roll out of DRC Dynamics including training of new staff and the existing light users.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during field visits & during review of scanned vouchers.
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building, provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Participate in conducting trainings for staff in the field offices and develop their technical skills by ensuring all processes related to organizational policies, donor guidelines and governmental requirements are adhered to.
- Support Finance Manager in internal and external audit processes
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
- Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Support the Finance to coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience, education and technical competencies
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or four-five years DRC/DDG experience in Finance/Accounting work combined with Diploma/Technical certificate in Finance/Accounting.
- At least three-four year’s work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Experience in preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage.
- Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct on the job trainings.
- Ability to prepare donor budgets will be an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in local spoken languages.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
·Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
·Collaborating:You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
·Taking the lead:You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
·Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
·Demonstrating integrity:You act in line with our vision and values.
Duty station:Mogadishu with frequent travel to DRC Offices within Somalia.
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Duration:1-year contract with possibility of extension subject to performance.
Contract:This position is graded as G3 (NM-G) for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visitwww.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form onwww.drc.ngounder Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application onwww.drc.ngounder Vacancies no later than27 January, 2019.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.