France Scholarships for South African Students
France – South Africa Scholarship Programme is directed to South African students who intend to study in universities or higher education institutions in France for their Master’s degree or PhD.
The programme is also open to Lesothan students.
The current call for applications is open for students who intend to start their studies in France in September next year.
Applicants will be contacted individually as needed.
The list of the laureates and the waiting list will be announced according to the indicated timeline. Follow-up requests by applicants will not be answered.
Due to the differences between the Southern and Northern hemisphere calendars, laureates will follow a specific programme in South Africa from January to July (Annual).
This track will include online French courses organized by the network of the Alliances Françaises.
It may also include an internship in French Companies based in South Africa, depending on the opportunities and the profile of each laureate.
France Scholarships for South African Students – Eligible Fields
This call for applications is open to all fields of studies.
Type: Masters, PhD
France Scholarships for South African Students – Eligibility
To be eligible for the France – South Africa Scholarship Programme, applicants must be:
- Under the age of 33 years old.
- A South African and Lesothan national.
- Enrolled in a French Higher Education institution (in due time) to pursue a Master’s degree or PhD.
- The scholarship is granted for a given period to be spent in France, matching the necessary time required to obtain the degree:For a Master’s degree, the scholarship will be granted for a duration between 10 and 22 months.
Master degree programmes are two years long.
In some specific cases (Bachelor degree with Honours, for example), students may consider applying directly to M2 (second year of the Master Programme). Only the hosting higher education institution is responsible for the admission.
At the end of the first academic year, the Embassy of France will verify the success of the student to continue her/his studies in the second year of the Master’s programme.
- For PhDs, the scholarship will be granted for a maximum duration of 3 years. However, at the end of each academic year, in order to get the renewal of his/her grant, the recipient will have to justify the progress of their research work.
- In case of a PhD under co-supervision/cotutelle, periods of stay in France should be specified.The scholarship will only be granted for the periods spent in France.
- For PhD and Master Degrees, if the curriculum requires course work that will take place outside France, then the applicant must specify all the details and his/her intentions, in the application process.France Scholarships for South African Students – Eligible Countries
- South Africa, LesothoTo be Taken in: France
Value of Award: Two schemes are possible under the France South Africa Scholarship Programme:
A full scholarship by the Embassy of France.
- The status of scholarship-holder of the French Government which includes social security, priority for accessing student housing, visa fee exemption and assistance offered by Campus France Paris.
- The payment of tuition fees, not exceeding 5000€ per year.
- A return flight ticket to France.
- A monthly allowance (approximately 700 euros for master students and 1400 euros for PhD students).
- An additional individualized accommodation aid (approximately 150 euros/month) can be obtained from the French Government.
- For PhD students, be aware that some doctoral schools require a minimum monthly income. Students applying to these doctoral schools have to contact and coordinate with the hosting
- French higher education institution and research laboratory to secure additional funding.
- In the second scheme of a cost sharing scholarship, the monthly allowance will be provided fully or partially by a partner (a partner among the Advisory Board, a company, a higher education institution or any other funding agency).All the other benefits of a full scholarship will still be provided by the Embassy of France.
This scheme can be proposed by the candidate during the application process or by the Advisory Board for some of the laureates.
- Applicants are highly encouraged to look for other sources of financing from his/her own local or French higher education institution but also from private sector companies.
- Specific attention will be given to applicants who have found other sources of financing for their academic project.
- At all times, applicants or laureates must inform the Embassy of France in case they have obtained any additional funding. Duration of Award: The scholarship is granted for a given period to be spent in France, matching the necessary time required to obtain the degree:France Scholarships for South African Students – How to Apply
Applicants are invited to read carefully the rulebook for the France – South Africa Scholarship Programme and the frequently asked questions.
Apply by 21st September.