Global Assurance Senior (Internal Audit Senior)
Based in London with 60% travel to our international operations
Salary circa £38,000 pa (dependent on previous experience)
Relief International (RI) is a leading non-profit organisation working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in working in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
The Global Assurance Senior (Internal Audit Senior) will have the opportunity to implement and influence change at RI on a global level. Supporting the Global Assurance Director in driving change and improvements throughout the organisation .
You will identify risks and assess the levels of internal controls that influence the quality of the services we aim to deliver to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
Your key responsibilities will be to complete internal audit and fraud investigations. You will be critical in providing independent assurance to RI’s management and the Board on the adequacy and effectiveness of the organisation’s governance, risk management, control and oversight arrangements in place. Confidently leading the delivery of high qualityinternal audit assignments, reviews, and investigations that influence and facilitate change within Relief International, you will also proactively contribute to the exchange of knowledge and learning within the organisation.
You will be a qualified professional of an internal audit or accountancy body together with progressive auditing experience (internal and/or external) within the international development sector. Your knowledge of working with major donors (USAID, DIFID & ECHO etc) and understanding of the grant management cycle is critical to this role. Together with your strong interpersonal skills you will have proven success in delivering difficult messages with tact, sensitivity and diplomacy, and with credibility to influence sustainable change with senior management.
This role has a global remit that requires the candidate to be able to travel internationally up to 60% of the time, and under difficult conditions in some of the most underdeveloped, insecure and remote parts of the world.
CLOSING DATE: 20 October 2018
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV.
Due to limited resources only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please note that to be considered for this role, candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
Note to external agencies, we will not be accepting CVs from third parties
Relief International is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Relief International is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children as a priority. This is reflected in our pre-employment checks and requirement to verify and check the identity and references of all applicants.
Full Terms of Reference
Title: Global Assurance Senior (Internal Auditor Senior)
Department: Global Assurance Unit, Strategy and Risk Department
Department and Location: London, UK – with up to 60% international travel
This is a UK-based position and candidates must have the right to work in the UK
Reports to: Director of Global Assurance
Staff reporting to this post: This post has no formal line management responsibility, however the post holder may supervise audit secondees on individual assignments and will work closely with and provide technical guidance to country-based colleagues.
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organisation working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialise in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasises local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International’s global support functions are based across our head offices in the United States and the United Kingdom. This geographical mix fosters collaboration and maximises the resources we are able to deploy for the delivery of services in the countries where we operate. It also means that when you join RI, you will be a member of an integrated global team.
As a UK employee, you may expect to be supervised by or supervise other employees within the global RI Structure. Our office culture, policies, structure and benefit packages will reflect the integrated nature of our global organisation while complying fully with UK laws and regulations.
The Global Assurance function supports the management and Board of Relief International by evaluating, and providing an independent assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of the organisation’s governance, risk management and internal controls.
The Global Assurance Senior will be expected to confidently lead on, or be part of a team delivering high quality, internal audit assignments, reviews, investigations and other work assigned on time and within budget and to influence and facilitate change within Relief International by contributing exchange of knowledge and learning within the organisation. In addition, he/she will be expected to support the Global Assurance Director and the department in the development and implementation of any Global Assurance and wider enterprise risk management improvement plans.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform internal audits/ assurance work across any of the countries in which RI operates, including fragile settings
- Produce reports and completed working paper files, ensuring that professional and Global Assurance quality standards are met
- Undertake special assignments and investigations and in particular undertake more complex and high level investigations, and carry out special reviews e.g. in relation to new systems development and into, allegations of fraud etc.
- Support the Global Assurance Director in preparing the annual risk-based audit plan and ongoing risk and assurance mapping
- Develop and deliver workshops, capacity support and technical assistance to audit focal staff at country office level in technical areas
- Follow up audit recommendations to ensure timely implementation and action of corrective measures to mitigate identified risks and improving compliance with global policies and procedures
- Contribute to the successful roll-out of enterprise-wide risk management
- Take a leading role in the development of new/amended audit processes, specific innovative ways of working
- Provide prompt and professional response and advice to queries raised by management regarding internal control and risk management
- Deputise for the Global Assurance Director as required
Essential skills, experience and knowledge
- Qualified professional membership of an internal audit or accountancy body
- Progressive auditing experience (internal and/or external) or equivalent experience in relevant areas of Relief International’s work
- Proven experience of undertaking and delivering effective internal audit assignments in accordance with recognised auditing standards
- Understanding of risk management and internal control procedures
- Knowledge of and experience in working with major donors (e.g. USAID/OFDA, ECHO, DFID, UN agencies etc.). Demonstrated know-how of donor expectations and requirements across the grant cycle
- Established track record of delivering quality product to tight deadlines and of balancing multiple commitments
- Established track record of producing high quality, effective oral and written communication in English for a wide range of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills including a demonstrable ability to deliver difficult messages with tact, sensitivity and diplomacy, and with credibility to influence sustainable change with senior management
- Self-motivated, results focussed and able to work with minimal supervision
- Willing to undertake high amount of travel overseas (up to 60%) under difficult conditions in some of the most underdeveloped, insecure and remote parts of the world
Desirable skills, experience and knowledge
- Practical knowledge of grant management, project management, and financial management
- Experience of working with people from diverse backgrounds, demonstrating respect for, and understanding of, cultural differences
- Experience of working in a complex international organisation and/or experience of working with Relief International
- A willingness to undertake continuing professional development and keep abreast of changes and developments as they impact upon the work of Relief International
- Proficiency and/or working knowledge of a second language (e.g. Arabic) an added advantage
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
Please submit your application package here: