At Last Mile Health, we go as far as it takes for our patients. Are you a medical professional looking to use your years of experience working in resource limited settings to guide and develop clinical strategy and programming for a growing global health non-profit committed to increasing health access and equity? If so, then you may be a great fit for the Global Medical Director at Last Mile Health.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Global Medical Director provides senior clinical leadership to Last Mile Health (LMH)’s Global Programs, offering technical input to teams delivering community based primary health programs in Liberia, Ethiopia, Malawi, Uganda, and Sierra Leone. The Global Medical Director will lead clinical design and quality assurance efforts to ensure these programs achieve the intended health impact. This critical leader will interface with more technical funders and global health research partners and support the recruitment of clinical staff, as requested by country-based programs. In this role, you will evaluate and update an evidence-based clinical strategy for achieving morbidity and mortality reductions. A portion of your time will be spent in field sites within LMH’s country programs to observe and identify areas for improvement to achieve a higher impact in the quality of patient care and to inform collaboration and future strategy..
This position is open to candidates located in Malawi, Liberia, Uganda, Ethiopia, and in the United States (preference to New York City and Boston but other locations may be considered). Candidates must have the ability to work in one of the countries listed above. Please note that our US offices are currently closed due to COVID 19 and all US based staff are working remotely.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and execute Last Mile Health’s global clinical strategy which includes designing and evaluating clinical excellence programs
- Support country-based programs and in-country medical directors to strengthen a continuum of care and referral to other parts of the health system
- Collaborate with Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL) leadership to review and evaluate clinical key performance indicators on a quarterly basis and strengthen collaboration with the Programs teams and maximize clinical impact
- Lead technical staff in creating project workplans and developing annual objectives with a monitoring and evaluation framework to measure clinical impact
- Oversee development of all clinical protocols, including those for staff health and risk management as pertains to health, and ensure that protocols are reviewed semi-annually
- Advise Global Operations Team in prioritization and selection of all medical supplies and commodities to execute programmatic activities
- Conduct field observation and synthesize both data reports and feedback from clinical staff to develop routine updates on successes and challenges in patient care and to support communications about this work
- Identify, cultivate, and support partnerships with academic, medical, and technical partners to support and strengthen LMH’s clinical programs
- Interface with implementing partners and technically focused funders (e.g. supply chain partners, medical technology partners, global health partners) to support, advocate and strengthen LMH’s clinical work in country programs
What You’ll Bring
- MD degree with prior clinical and programmatic experience
- Prior work experience in resource-limited settings, with strong preference for those who have experience in Liberia, Ethiopia, Malawi, Sierra Leone, or Uganda
- Demonstrated success in managing clinical projects and supervising teams across multiple sites, including developing and managing strategies, work plans, performance metrics, and budgets
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in a high performing and fast-paced work environment
- Strong commitment to health equity, clinical quality, and social justice
- Embodied sensitivity and a diplomatic mindset to serve diverse country programs
You’ll Impress Us If
- Deep knowledge of rural primary health care systems within the public sector of low and middle-income countries
- Prior experience with written and/or spoken advocacy for health equity and justice
Compensation and Benefits Information
As LMH strives to increase transparency into our compensation principles we are highlighting below more details around our compensation policy and benefits associated with this position. In line with our compensation principles, this position will pay at the 50th to 60th percentile of the market to which you are employed. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Principles guiding our compensation policy:
- Data Driven: We benchmark salaries against large datasets containing compensation data from organizations with whom we compete for talent. We benchmark salaries for specific roles and specific candidate experience.
- Competitive: Candidates should be paid the most competitive salaries possible for their position given budgetary constraints. We aim to pay above market, typically between the 50th-60th percentile of the market.
- Transparent: Compensation policies should be transparent and easily understood. We want all candidates to understand how we set salaries and to know we aim to pay competitively.
- Equitable: Compensation should be implemented consistently across candidates of different identities, teams and geographies, while keeping into account the different talent markets and economies we operate in.
- Responsible: LMH needs to operate in a sustainable way and practice good stewardship of our resources.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world’s most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Malawi, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How to apply
Please submit your application on the link provided.