Google Zawadi Africa Scholarship: The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a program designed to provide scholarships to academically gifted girls from disadvantaged backgrounds from Africa to pursue higher education in the U.S.A, Uganda, Ghana, South Africa and Kenya.
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is based on the highly successful Kennedy/Mboya Student airlifts of the 1960′s, through a partnership with individuals and institutions with an interest in creating leadership opportunities for girls in Africa.
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund has delivered an excellent return in its first few years.
To date, there are students enrolled at top universities in the US including Yale University, Xavier University and Smith College.
The students in the program have an average GPA of 3.70.
This is made even more impressive by the fact that the students are all required to be partners in this initiative, by holding down on-campus jobs to pay for books and incidentals.
On average, the program pays for less than 10% of the total cost of a 4-year education, with the balance funded by merit based college grants and scholarships.
Zawadi Africa Scholarship Selection Criteria & Eligibility
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, the following criteria must be met;
- A girl who has completed her secondary school examination e.g. The Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE) or equivalent in Uganda and Ghana
- Has demonstrated academic excellence ( A- or A Plain or a B+ under exceptional circumstances i.e From marginalised areas)
- Has demonstrated leadership qualities e.g. in school as a prefect, in the community, church, leadership in peer related activities etc.)
- Has overcome insurmountable odds such as serious financial challenges, oppressive social-cultural practices such as early marriages and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) etc. in order to attain academic excellence.
- Come from a financially disadvantaged background.
- Has demonstrated clear financial needThe scholarship is offered every year.
For more information and women scholarships application materials, see: Google Zawadi Africa Scholarship Website