Government of Hungary Scholarships
Fully Funded Government of Hungary Scholarships for International Students. Hungarian Government Scholarships for Developing Countries. Hungarian Scholarships for International Students.The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, by the Hungarian Government is offering international students the opportunity to undergo study of all types in Hungary for free.
The core mission of the programme is to increase the number of foreign students in Hungary and to encourage Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top foreign students.
The Programme is managed by Tempus Public Foundation.
Eligible Countries: International. See list of countries below
Scholarships for Study in Hungary
Fields of Study
Applicants are encouraged to apply for study fields that are in the educational cooperation programmes between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner.
Available study fields differ from country to country based on the bilateral agreement between Hungary and the partner country.
About the Government of Hungary Scholarships
Thousands of students from all around the world apply for higher educational studies in Hungary each year.
The number of Stipendium Hungaricum applicants is continuously increasing as well as the number of available scholarship places.
In the current academic year approximately 4500 students can begin their studies in Hungary in the framework of the Stipendium Hungaricum Programme.
The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions.
Currently more than 50 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme throughout 4 different continents.
Types of Government of Hungary Scholarships
Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for bachelor, master, one-tier master, doctoral and non-degree programmes (preparatory and specialisation courses).
In the Hungarian education system, one-tier master programmes cover both the bachelor and the master level of studies; therefore it is an undivided master programme that results in a master degree.
These one-tier programmes are offered in specific study fields such as general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, architecture, law, veterinary surgery, forestry engineering, etc.
Government of Hungary Scholarships Eligibility
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
- Hungarian citizens (including those with dual citizenships)
- Former Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Holders, who are re-applying for studies in the same cycle of education (non-degree studies, bachelor, master, doctoral level) including both full time and partial study programmes.
Value of Hungarian Scholarships for International Students
- Tuition-free education – exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
– non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
– doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation – dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Medical insurance – health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
Duration of Scholarship Duration of candidate’s chosen program:
- Bachelor programmes: Fulltime: 2-4 years. Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Master programmes: Fulltime: 1.5-2 years. Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- One-tier master programmes: Fulltime: 5-6 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Doctoral programmes: Fulltime: 2+2 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Non-degree programmes:
– Preparatory course in Hungarian language: 1 year
– Other preparatory and specialisation courses: up to 1 year
How to Apply
All documents that cannot be obtained in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian have to be translated and the translations have to be submitted as well as the copy of the original document.
A guide for the online system will be available to download from the www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu website.
It is necessary to go through the Application Requirements thoroughly before applying for this scholarship
For more information and application materials, see; Fully Funded Government of Hungary Scholarships for International Students