WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To drive WFP’s effective positioning with private, public sector partners to attract resources, technical assistance and innovative solutions to advance the work of WFP in the Sughd region. Plan and manage field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes and use of allocated resources, in coordination and collaboration with local governments, UN agencies and other partners.
WFP Khujand Field Office pioneers to develop partnerships with private and public sector for Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG-2). WFP seeks for a passionate individual with GRIT to bring context specific innovative solutions in the Sughd region to promote sustainable food systems. The Field Office oversees programme activities in the Sughd region, including school meals programme and emergency preparedness and response activities.
Based in Khujand, the incumbent directly reports to the Deputy Country Director of WFP Tajikistan.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Lead the implementation of a work plan for the Sughd region to enable WFP to identify, develop and strengthen quality partnerships in support of WFP strategic objectives.
- Facilitate partnership growth in the Sughd region, by exploring opportunities to expand scope of new partners from private sector, guided by assessments, analysis and due diligence; Present recommendations to senior management in the Country Office.
- Expand Public Private Partnerships (PPP) initiatives in the Sughd region in support of the development and implementation of the National School Feeding Programme.
- Promote sustainable food systems in the Sughd region through innovative partnerships, involving private and public sector, civil society, as well as development partners.
Field Operation Management and Coordination:
- Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team;
- Plan and manage WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are timely resolved to prevent losses or delays;
- Conduct timely and efficient management of allocated resources (human resources, petty-cash, and facilities) and ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans; timely recorded and reported, and any deviations are reported to the Country Office;
- Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT);
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting of the Field Office. Oversee the preparation of all other reports as well as proposals to the Country Office Cooperating Partner Committee (CPC) to ensure a high quality and timely delivery;
- Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions;
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and local government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through project management support of learning initiatives.
- Initiate, develop and maintain productive relationships with key partners and advocate for food security, serving as an effective ambassador for WFP at coordination meetings, conferences and other events;
- Build partnerships to improve assistance packages, develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil societies, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security;
- Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the expertise sharing and capacity building for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs;
- Provide technical advice or mobilize technical expertise on programme and policy issues to support the government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition;
- Ensure internal control and compliance of operations with WFP’s policies, criteria and procedures with respect to food assistance
- Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites and centres;
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum three or more years of relevant professional work experience in partnership roles.
- Have managed staff, including evaluating and improving performance, and led a small to mid-sized team to ensure the effective delivery of results;
- Has motivated team spirit and contributed to a gender-balanced, inclusive and sound working environment.
- Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation within area of focus.
Desired experiences for entry into the role:
- Has a good understanding of government strategies and priorities and gained experience in developing multi-stakeholder partnerships;
- Has gained significance experience in exploring new opportunities and providing inputs to design and develop solutions with prospective partners;
- Has used understanding of partner’s focus areas and knowledge of internal capabilities to create a Unique Value Proposition for the partners.
- Has field experience via field rotations or working in a sub-office, and through field postings;
Required knowledge & skills:
- Good understanding of project lifecycle, humanitarian principles and tools, programmes and transfer modalities;
- Familiarity with planning and implementing humanitarian and development assistance;
- Ability to explain strategies and projects to field counterparts and communicate with local governments and partners clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Strong analytical skills, ability to provide technical advice, or mobilize technical expertise, on a range of programmatic, operational and support areas;
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate staff for efficient and effective delivery of results;
- Ability to assimilate and analyse complex issues using independent judgment and anticipate potential impact on operations;
- Negotiation and motivational skills;
- Good understanding of business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems;
- Ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety;
- Tact and ability to work harmoniously with people of different national and cultural background;
- Resourcefulness, initiative and problem-solving skills.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Tajik or Russian. Fluency in both Tajik and Russian is advantage.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete their applications on-line on WFP website on the following link: https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=138582&com…
Applicants will have to register and create on-line CVs to be able to apply. Hard copies of CVs or applications through e-mail will not be accepted. Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information.