Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Lebanon, bordering Syria, hosts 1.5 million Syrian refugees (for a population of 4 million) of which about 35% in the Beqaa valley.
Zahle pediatric project, located in the Beqaa valley, opened in early 2017 in Elias Haraoui Ministry of Public Health Hospital. It aims at providing specialized pediatric care to children in the most vulnerable populations (Syrian and Palestinian refugees, Lebanese without access to care).
The proposed medical management includes:
- critical cases (respiratory distress, infection etc.)
- complex cases requiring hospitalization (chronic diseases, epilepsy etc.) or outpatient care, with specific monitoring on thalassemia
The pediatric unit managed by MSF includes a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU).
The project is organized in partnership with the local NGO Waha (centered on ambulatory care).
Accountabilities as Head of Mission
- Initiating and leading the mission-wide operational strategy; including country policy, annual plan, budget and policy frameworks. Leading the management team translating the strategic objectives into operational activities. Monitoring developments in MSF’s general policies and strategies and adapting the annual plan of the mission accordingly.
- Monitoring and analyzing the political, humanitarian and medical situation in the country and in the region. Identifying potential fields of intervention and determining response strategies.
- Representing MSF towards external actors to create commitment and negotiate terms and conditions for field operations.
- Leading the implementation of medical-humanitarian activities in the mission.
- Coordinating with other MSF sections to initiate, coordinate and develop short- and long-term strategies in the country.
- Evaluating the progress and outcomes of activities to ensure that objectives are achieved and reporting to the cell
- Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all human, material and financial resources to ensure the overall performance of the mission
- Leading the mission and its staff, providing a clear vision for the direction of the mission and bringing staff together across functional and geographical lines to achieve the mission’s objectives Being responsible for all security aspects of the mission.
Accountabilities as medical coordinator
- Being responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the MSF country policy, medical strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan, CPP and project plans are achieved.
- Being overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by MSF projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centered activities.
- Continuously monitoring the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country through exploratory missions, the use of health information systems, monitoring and reviewing project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Being responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator, the material aspects of the programs through regular field visits,
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participating in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervising the associated processes
- Together with the HR Coordinator, defining, updating and implementing the Mission’s Health and Safety Policy Framework including medical insurance, social packages and repatriation policy.
- Being responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with the Pharma Coordinator and the Logistics Department) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Pharma Coordinator and the Logistics Department, and the submission of all medical purchase requests to HQ.
- Providing reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective,
- Representing MSF with local medical authorities and keeping regular contact with other counterparts in the mission.
- Strategic Vision
- University degree in medicine or paramedical is mandatory. Additional degrees in Public Health or International Relations are a plus.
- At least five years work experience in management positions, including two years in similar management position, in MSF
- Previous experience with MSF as a Medical Coordinator (mandatory)
- Working experience in developing countries (mandatory)
- Fluency in English mandatory. Arabic (levantine) and French are assets.
- Computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Position to be filled ASAP
- Duration 12 months
Please apply online with your resume and cover letter :
Only short listed candidates will be contacted