Organization: Adam Smith International
About Adam Smith International
Adam Smith International is a company that tackles complex problems with creative solutions. Over the last 25 years we have come from being a UK-based privatisation specialist to one of the world’s leading providers of technical solutions in transition, developing and conflict affected economies with offices across 30 countries. Our work creates positive change for people, communities and the environment. Our people are our strength.
Function of the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a mid-to-senior level experienced business manager who is keen to make a difference by shaping our future strategy in the United States. The Head of North America will be collaborating with colleagues across the company to work with US clients to help them deliver and exceed the expected impacts of their programs. As the Principal in the new subsidiary business the Job Holder will be central to establishing the business, building our market presence and developing our mode of operation. Primary responsibilities will be to build relations with other implementing companies within the competitive landscape, to coordinate bid development teams, identify and research opportunities and oversee commercial aspects of bidding and contracting. The role is suited to a self-starter who both enjoys being entrepreneurial but who has a strong management and leadership skills.
Marketing Information management
- Leads on business development activities such as opportunity reviews and selecting appropriate opportunities to pursue
- Maintain client relationships (USAID, MCC and other DC based clients) and a strong understanding of client priorities and market trends.
- Maintain strong relationships and communications with potential US prime contractors and consortium partners.
- Build and maintain a strong understanding of our competitive positioning
- Produce high quality marketing material, including capability and qualification statement from our previous and ongoing programmes.
- Represent the business at industry events, both to build networks and to increase the awareness of the company’s expertise and experience.
- Lead significant bids, overseeing the planning and coordination of effort across proposal teams and provide effective bid leadership
- Lead the preparation of technical and financial proposals, particularly in the context of USAID and MCC/MCA
- Formulating competitive commercial proposals ensuring value for money, effective risk mitigation and adherence to corporate financial objectives.
- Search for, identify and engage high-quality associate consultants, especially those with strong USAID and MCC experience.
- Working with Director of North America (Senior Vice President level within the business) to establish internal processes within the office for information and commercial management
- Ensuring all ethical policies are followed, including identifying and managing any potential conflicts of interest.
- Minimum of 7 years in the US development consultancy sector with a reputable Masters Degree or Minimum of 9 years with a reputable bachelors degree; both with significant experience of producing successful bids
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in international development
- Ability to research and put together information for proposals
- Strong understanding of the USAID contractor markets
- Strong understanding of USAID procurement processes
- Strong understanding of how to design an accurate budget for large projects, including the construction of indirect cost rates
- Knowledge of operational and duty of care responsibilities as it relates to proposal and budget development
- Advanced skills in planning and delivering results as well as communication and knowledge management
- High level of emotional intelligence in the following areas: self-awareness, social awareness, self-management, relationship management.
- Strong sense of business ethics and application in their day to day work
- Knowledge and experience of MCC and other US markets including:
o Priorities and aims
o Funding structures and agencies
o Corporate structures
- Some political, social and cultural understanding of the contexts in which we work
What We Offer You
We offer you a dynamic and friendly team environment and the opportunity to work on a highly successful portfolio of programmes. We have a strong commitment to our people and strive to live by our values. We’ve built a culture to reflect our values, full of likeminded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do. We have a headquarters overlooking the Thames in a central London location.
We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
Ready to Apply?
Please submit a CV (no more than 3 pages) and short cover letter with a subject line of “Head of North America” to:
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis.
Deadline for Applications will be Monday 8th of October
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.