We are looking, on behalf of our client, a non-profit organization, for a Head of Office responsible for the operations and programmes in DR Congo, to be based in Bukavu, South Kivu Province.
About the role
As Head of Office you are responsible to develop and ensure the implementation of programmes in accordance with organisation’s mandate, policies, delegation of authority, working methods, operational plan, budget and agreements with donors and partner organisations.
You hold a managerial, administrative, security and financial responsibility, including for the management of the overall country budget. As Head of Office you are responsible for recruiting, managing and motivating the staff in the office in Bukavu.
Additionally, you organization’s official representative in the country. This also entails networking and maintaining relationships with relevant international and national stakeholders, including donors and developing and maintaining partnerships, first and foremost with women’s rights organisations.
The Head of Office belongs organizationally to the Programme Department and reports to the Regional Manager Africa.
· Minimum ten years of relevant work experience of which at least four in a managerial position with responsibility of at least 3-6 staff and a mediumsize budget;
· Academic degree in a relevant field such as political science, gender studies, international relations, development studies, peace- and conflict studies, human rights, law or similar field;
· Solid experience of development cooperation work in a complex, conflict affected contexts, preferably from the DR Congo;
· Demonstrated knowledge in one or more of the following thematic areas: promotion of gender equality/respect for women’s rights; peace-building /conflict resolution; women’s empowerment; gender-based violence prevention; and/or support to women’s human rights defenders;
· Experience from working in partnership with local women organisations or local civil society actors preferably including capacity building aspects;
· Experience in programme and project management, including strong monitoring and evaluation skills and knowledge in results based management and quality assurance;
· Experience of methods development and capacity-building;
· Experience as responsible for the safety and security of an organization and its staff;
· Experience of budgeting and budget follow-up; including performing or overseeing administrative and finance-related tasks;
· Experience in fundraising;
· Fluency in French and English;
· Solid computer skills;
· A valid driver’s license.
· Strong communication- and conflict sensitivity skills;
· Engaged and interested in women’s rights
· Interest in/and experience of methods development;
· Knowledge of International Human Rights Law and/or International Humanitarian law;
· Knowledge of and experience from working with EU-funding;
· Experience of handling corruption cases in complex contexts;
· Familiarity with the Congolese gender/women’s rights Environment;
· Fluency in Swedish and/or Swahili.
Terms and conditions of employment The position as Head of Office is a two years fixed-term contract (international development cooperation work), full-time with the possibility for an extension (up to five years).
Start of employment Winter/Spring 2019. The Head of Office is stationed in Bukavu, DR Congo and is expected to conduct 2 – 3 trips per year to Europe and other parts of Africa.
Please also note that due to the nature of the work only women, legal and/or self-identified, applicants will be considered. Otherwise we strive for diversity.
Applications and updated CV should be submitted to email@example.com, under the title: DRS ref number 10272.
Due to the high number of applications, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only.