Supervisor: Country representative
Location: Iraq (Based in Dohuk, Northern Iraq)
Starting Date: December 2018
Contract duration: 1 year (with possibility of extension)
About CARE: CARE International (CARE) is a non-religious, non-political international development and humanitarian organization, dedicated to fighting global poverty. CARE works in around 95 countries globally, engaging diverse partnerships to support communities to overcome poverty through development projects and delivers humanitarian assistance. CARE programmes address social injustice whilst placing women and girls at the core of programming in order to create sustainable positive change in poor communities. CARE is an equal opportunity employer irrespective of nationality, religion, ethnicity, caste or gender.
CARE established its presence in Iraq in 2014 to provide relief and development assistance to vulnerable populations affected by conflict. Its programming currently spans two Governorates of Duhok and Ninewa with concrete plans to expand to areas in Anbar Governorate. In the current transitional phase, the core sectors of CARE Iraq’s work encompass the restoration of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services and Sexual Reproductive and Maternal Health (SRMH) services. CARE’s multipurpose cash assistance and livelihoods interventions assist vulnerable households to meet basic needs and to increase their social-economic resilience. The Country Office (CO) continues re-orienting its programming to strengthen mainstreaming of gender and protection (GBV, Child Safeguarding, Disability Inclusion, etc.) with a focus on the empowerment of women and girls in all diversities, recognizing the disproportionate effect disasters have upon their lives.
The Head of Program Support (HoPS) oversees the finance management, administrative and compliance functions of CARE’s offices in Iraq. Finance management functions include planning and budgeting, financial accounting, financial controls, financial systems, and reporting. Administrative functions include office management, required registrations and insurance coverage, and the compliance function includes compliance with donor regulations related to procurement and management policies, with the expectation that very limited large scale procurement will take place.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Finance – Accounting
- Working closely with CARE’s office in Bonn and CARE’s Shared Service Center in Manila, oversee and ensure the functioning of Peoplesoft Accounting System in the Country Office
- Ensure that all CARE financial policies and procedures are followed and establish and/or refine Country Office level financial policies and procedures as needed
- Fulfil all financial reporting requirements for internal and external stakeholders, including accounting and monthly/annual closures.
- Ensure that effective systems are put in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and control of:
- Project expenditures and approved budgets
- Accounting and management information systems;
- Cash and cash flow management, including bank accounts and currency exchange rate monitoring;
- Expenditure procedures, especially around procurement;
- Document controls and procedures;
- Support the financial management system of partners through training and capacity building. Review financial systems, policies, procedures of local partners regarding donor compliance
- Oversee preparation of accurate and timely annual statutory financial statements for submission to local authorities
- Coordinate internal and external audits and audit follow-up.
- Finance – Budgeting and Planning
- Assist the Country Representative in the management of CARE’s resources and projects
- Work with the programme team in country and in the relevant CARE Member Partners to submit timely and accurate financial reporting to the donors
- Identify and effectively manage financial risks, develop and implement mitigation measures.
- Develop and track master budget to ensure proper coverage of all budget lines
- Provide accurate information and oversee budget development for new proposals
- Support the programme team and partners to meet funding needs, including the diversification of funding sources.
- Ensure project budget holders understand and fulfil their responsibilities
- Administration and Facilities Management
- Manage HR systems, including payroll and social security and tax statements in accordance to local law
- Oversee policies and procedures for procurement and management of rented properties, assets, inventories, equipment, furnishing, insurance etc.
- Ensures efficient, cost effective communications and IT Systems are in place
- Review contracts, leases, insurance cover.
- Oversee adequate legal registration and compliance with local legislation, the annual renewal of registrations, licenses and permits in coordination with Logistics unit
- Ensure that Care procurement policies and procedures are kept up-to-date and compliant with donor regulations. Ensure changes are disseminated and all appropriate staff are trained.
- Participate in finalizing of Procurement Plans for all grants.
- Centralize the program supply chain by setting up of effective order management systems including pre-approved, preferred suppliers and framework agreements.
- Ensure the supply chain is appropriate and cost effective, based on budget, markets, infrastructure, nature of the Care programmes, and need for timely delivery.
- Oversee a centralized asset register is maintained.
- Ensure donor reports for assets are timely completed and submitted to the Country Representative and/or Care Germany
- Policy Compliance
- Ensure that all donors’ requirements are appropriately implemented as stated in project agreement (IPIA)
- Ensure that Care’s internal finance management policy is adhered to.
- Endeavor to optimize the use of resources in CO in order to make operation cost effective.
- Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Ensure that the logistics, finance and administration department is correctly staffed
- Ensure that the program support team understands and are able to perform their roles
- Manage the program support team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish result based system and follow up.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified finance professional (recognized accounting qualification) with experience of operating in a global and complex organization
- Experience with setting up and managing accounting systems
- Experience with financial project management and compliance with various institutional donors
- Minimum of five years management experience in a corporate or an INGO environment, including development and implementation of strategic and operational support services.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills including the ability to supervise and motivate as well as to coach and develop qualified professional staff,
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities in both development and emergency contexts
- Experience with using Peoplesoft desirable
Skills and Core Competencies
- Analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Competent level skills in core IT applications, particularly MS Office
- Willingness and ability to handle peaks in workload and flexible working hours
- A commitment to the values and principles of CARE
- Experience of exposure to conflict hit areas
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in English required and other major language skills desired
- Arabic or Kurdish language skills an asset
The HoPS is based within the Duhok office, in Iraq with a contract from CARE Deutschland. It is anticipated that the HoPS spends up to 15% of his/her time travelling.
Women and men are equally encouraged to apply.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CVs and a cover letter of interest in English to Ms. Judith Berger (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 24 October 2018. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.