The Head of Programme reports directly to the Country Director South Sudan. The Country Director provides direction and general supervision. The Head of Programme leads, guides & supports all South Sudan programme/project development, planning, project coordination (PMs and Project Teams), assurance & delivery in close coordination/collaboration with the Support Services and Partnership Development functions. S/he is responsible for managing all stages of delivery/implementation to achieve results (significantly improve delivery & quality) in the area/s of responsibility.
1. Programme governance, implementation and monitoring
• For the portfolio of projects, accept responsibility of oversight as delegated by the Country Director and through the role of Project Executive on Project Boards.
• Establish and execute the programme implementation plans in collaboration with the team and partners, including setting objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and client oriented services.
• Monitor and supervise the timely and cost-effective implementation of the programme according to UNOPS goals and partner expectations, approved budget and full cost recovery.
• HOP takes over project after signing Agreement including request for tranche / billing from client until the PM and a team established.
• Supervise the Project Management Office (PMO) to ensure that project management policies, processes and methods are followed and practiced according to the organization’s standards, best project management practices are promoted, and overall assurance of projects is provided. Oversee and consolidate project information of all projects.
• Mentor and assist Project Managers in planning, execution and delivery of allocated projects, ensuring incorporation of best practice project management processes.
• Ensure monthly progress meetings are held with all South Sudan Programme PMs, as well as facilitate timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs, and reporting. As necessary provide support and follow up on day-to-day management of projects.
• Ensure Financial Delivery Status Report to be completed, analyzed and actioned monthly
• Ensure quality management by conducting regular inspections – project office administration performed to an acceptable standard; project data management checking e.g. files (soft and hardcopies) maintained in order construction site inspections on all infrastructure projects are carried out regularly at least on a quarterly basis
• As a team manager, implement Maturity Project-related tasks as per the Strategic Management Office work plan.
• Implement the programme governance framework – and support its development on the basis of corporate standards and guidelines.
2. Programme development and planning
• Support the Country Director to ensure the financial sustainability of the programme and delivery of desired results, ensuring compliance with organizational strategies, rules, regulations and standards of performance.
• Submit mandated reports and critical issues to the Country Director and clients, to drive future process improvement and business development planning.
• Support the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments) in close cooperation with the Partnerships Office.
• Support the accurate and timely completion of programme/business recommendations for the review and approval of the Country Director, in close cooperation with the partnerships office.
• Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonization of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance.
3. Manage programme resources
• Plan and propose to the Country Director, required programme resources (human and financial).
• Submit revenue and expenditure forecasts based on UNOPS and Country financial goals.
• Support Country Director in development of pricing strategies based on UNOPS pricing policy and models to ensure an appropriate balance between revenue and development capacity within UN mandate and spirit.
• Manage programme resources in accordance with UNOPS standards of ethics, integrity and accountability framework and financial sustainability.
• Plan, recruit, manage and develop project(s) personnel/technical experts with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance and encouraging the formation of diverse teams in term of gender and geography.
• Promote teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the programme team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
• Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
• Plan, conduct and/or respond to UNOPS performance evaluation reviews and surveys.
• Receive Project Team training plans and assist in implementation of training needs of project personnel
4. Partnership, networking and advocacy
• Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of UNOPS competencies in project service delivery and management.
• Support the Partnership Development function by identifying and developing new business and partnership/customer opportunities.
• Collaborate with Country Director and Partnership Development Office to prepare proposals and partnerships engagement.
• Contribute to current and future growth plans for South Sudan, ensuring alignment with the UNOPS Strategic Plan.
• Facilitate/Support the Partnership Development Office to develop communication strategies to maximize communication impact and outreach and build awareness of UNOPS goals and competencies to reinforce UNOPS competitive edge as a provider of sustainable projects results.
• At the request of the Country Director, participate and/or represent the UNOPS South Sudan Office in inter-agency discussions and planning to ensure UNOPS position, interests and priorities are fully considered.
5. Knowledge management and innovation
• Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the programme delivery and results.
• Institutionalize and share best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
• Disseminate information to project staff to update as required in keeping with UNOPS rules and regulations.
• Draft policy papers and/or recommend policy changes to align operations with changing environment.
• Lead the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, clients and stakeholders within the programme. The incumbent will be responsible for mentoring and building project managers capacity
6. Government Institutional Strengthening
• Provide high level technical advisory services to Government institutions
• Provide technical mentorship in the configuration of the role of the Ministry of Public Works, and the process of definition of organizational structure and development of delivery systems
• Provide direct mentorship to the PM and project teams
Impact of Results
The effective and successful performance by the Head of Programme directly impacts on achievement of programme results and consequently reinforces the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- A Master’s degree in engineering, project management, public administration, social science or other relevant related field is required.
- PRINCE2® Foundation/Practitioner is an asset.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements required above
- Programme/Project Management Professional (MSP® or PMI-PgMP/PMI-PMP) is an asset.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience that combines strategic, managerial leadership and experience managing engineering projects and/or programme management planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization.
- At least 3 years of leadership experience.
- Experience working in a conflict or post conflict is required.
- Experience in programme management, project management, reporting, client management, budget management, capacity building is required.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- Experience working in a national/Government ministry is highly desirable.
- Experience in a national rural development/public works/planning ministry is an asset
- Experience in delivery of multilateral projects is an asset
- Experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable
- Previous work experience in a hardship duty station is desirable
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of Somali or Arabic is an asset.
- Strategic Perspective:Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Integrity and Inclusion:Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Leading Self and Others:Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.For people managers only:Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Partnering:Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Results Orientation:Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Agility:Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution Focused:Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Effective Communication:Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modeling behavior.
- Ability to communicate ideas and concept in writing and orally, clearly and convincingly.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations.
- Strong capacity building ability
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA-3
Contract duration: open-ended (subject to organizational requirements, available funds and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The UNOPS South Sudan office helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the South Sudanese people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. All UNOPS operations have an increasing emphasis on developing national capacities and considering gender, environmental and community concerns. UNOPS is working in a range of sectors in South Sudan including: transport, education, health, post-conflict stabilization and emergency response.
Click below link to apply for the position