Job Title:Head of Programmes
Starting date:June 2020
Contract Length:12 months with the possibility of extension
Country:Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Job Location:Bukavu and project sites in South Kivu and Maniema provinces
Reports To:Country Director
Responsible For:Project Managers, Programme support officer, M&E Coordinator and CRM OfficerJob overview:
The Head of Programmes supervises all programmes, with the specific responsibility for the timely and efficient programme implementation, and the quality of projects. By supervising the implementation of results-based Monitoring and Evaluation systems, the Head of Programmes also guides the programme strategy and development of future programmes. Together with the Country Director (CD), the Head of Programmes represents PIN to donors and partners, ensuring that PIN is recognised for its field experience. Furthermore, the Head of Programmes engages in medium and long-term planning and strategy activities, ensures continuous quality improvement of programmes and contributes to a positive working environment for programme staff.
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in over 20 countries around the world. Formed in 1992, PIN has grown to be the biggest organisation of its kind in Central Europe, providing relief where it is needed, and empowering civil society in the Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia.
People in Need (PIN) has been present in the DRC since 2008. With its main office in Bukavu (South Kivu) and several field offices, we have been implementing projects focusing on nutrition, basic health care, food security, WASH, education and human rights in the provinces of South Kivu and Maniema.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists the Country Director in the management of the country programme and replaces the CD in delegated functions when the CD is not available or in country.
- Leads the programme rollout of the Country Strategic Plan and is responsible for the related Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Ensures that the overall programme is designed, managed and implemented in conformity to national legislation and to clusters’ donors’ and People in Need’s policies, strategies and guidelines.
- Is a crucial part of the senior management and involved in the strategic decision making of the country programme
- Ensures that cross-cutting themes are mainstreamed, and that the programmes’ strategic plans are followed and in line with the PIN RDD Strategy
- Ensures effective operational management of PIN’s programme through line management of Project/Programme Managers and M&E Department
- Ensures timely and high-quality reporting to donors and HQ
- Makes sure that projects’ development meets high standards in terms of design, implementation and M&E through proper Project Cycle Management
- Regularly tracks procurement and spending plans and ensures their proper preparation by programme staff
- Tracks programme status through internally developed M&E systems and ensures that regular monthly review meetings take place at the programme/project level
- Facilitates the linkages between programmes and operations
- Together with the CD is responsible for functioning CRMs that are in line with cross-cutting PIN principles throughout programmes, and actively participates in resolutions
Project Development and Coordination
- Prepare programme and operational budgets (including investment budget plan) collaboratively with programme and finance staff (including consideration of security situation and logistics planning)
- Ensures that all programmes properly retain programme learning for future projects, and that all information is properly documented
- Reviews and updates programme strategies on a regular basis relying on review cycle of the country strategy (at least annually)
- Actively contributes to assessment design to development of new proposals and ensures that they are in line with PIN country strategy and PIN Relief and Development Department strategy
- Actively seeks to improve the quality of proposals
- Coordination with technical offices within our donors
Human resources management
- Ensures appropriate human resources for the projects to meet its objectives
- In coordination with the CD (risk management) is responsible for decision making and is an integral part of the recruitment process with relevant technical knowledge of the programme staff
- Is responsible for the evaluation mechanism being followed and implemented throughout the whole programme department
- Coaches and transfers skills to the programme team
- Is responsible to ensure that programme staff are adherent to PIN security regulations, and for cooperation between projects and PIN security staff compliance with all security and safety rules and regulations set-up in the SOPs
- In compliance with the CD’s request, will take responsibility for the security phone outside office hours.
Representation, Communication, Networking & Fundraising
- Networks among donors and key stakeholders to actively seek funding opportunities, provides technical support to CD in terms of donors and fundraising planning
- Ensures that PIN is represented and visible in the donor community, among key partners, and within coordination fora; delegates as appropriate to programme staff
- In collaboration with Communication officer and HQ communication and advocacy dept. ensures appropriate and relevant communications and promotional material is produced to support programs in country and advocacy and fundraising campaigns both locally and internationally.
- In collaboration with the CD, engages in advocacy dialogues where appropriate (according to the defined strategy); ensures that PIN represents the needs of its beneficiaries and based on its field experience in order to campaign for needed policies and donor commitments
- Ensures that responsible and competent technical personnel in given sectors attend and actively participate in clusters and programmes
- Maintains positive relationships with regional and local government
- MA/Diploma in development/humanitarian field or relevant educational background
- 5 years of experience in humanitarian/development work required
- Fluent knowledge of French and English required
- Proven experience in project cycle and team management required
- Proven experience with needs assessments and proposal development required
- Knowledge and experience of Monitoring and Evaluation within projects required
- Previous experience of Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) or Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) programs a strong advantage
- Experience with coordination within consortia a strong advantage
- Experience with working in insecure environments a strong advantage
- Critical analysis and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure, often to strict deadlines
- Cultural sensitivity, excellent communication skills and strong ability to motivate and transfer knowledge to others
- Empathy with the organisation values and its approach
- Sound judgment, coordination and management skills
- Responsible and systematic, with ability to organize and plan effectively
People in Need offers:
- Work experience with professional and flexible NGO, the largest in Central-Eastern Europe
- Work in dynamic and motivated team
- Salary based on the PIN salary scale, experience and seniority
- Accommodation provided in the Guest House of PIN
- 25 days of holiday per year along with additional National Holidays based on the DRC Labour Law
- Twice a year 2 paid R&R leave days with extra contribution of 500 USD each
- Reimbursement of travel expenses for travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Travel insurance (covers the health care incl. the repatriation)
- Induction and training in Prague
How to apply
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letterin Englishviathis link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at:www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).