Position Title :Head of Sub-Office
Duty Station :Dire Dawa, Ethiopia
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment :Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :31 March 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM atwww.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: *Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia;**Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu*
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and Representative to African Union (AU), United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) and direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, in close coordination with the Senior Resources Management Officer (RMO) and relevant Unit Heads in the Country office (CO), the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the IOM Sub-Office, ensuring effective implementation of IOM project activities, providing advice to the CoM and other IOM colleagues concerned in Addis Ababa on issues relating to IOM work including potential project opportunities, and representing IOM in local coordination mechanisms and meetings in Dire Dawa, Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Maintain and further develop strong work relationships with the Regional Government authorities and programme partners such as the regional Disaster Prevention and Preparedness Bureau (DPPB), Agency for Refugee and Returnee Affairs (ARRA) office, Bureau of Labour and Social Affairs, and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), World Food Programme (WFP), United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and other agencies concerned in the region, with the objective of ensuring IOM interest and smooth implementation of IOM project activities including Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) related durable solutions and humanitarian assistance, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), migrant protection and assistance and refugee resettlement related services.
- In close coordination with the Resources Management Unit and relevant Programme Coordinators in the CO, oversee the administrative functions of the Sub-Office including but not limited to:
a) Managing the Sub-Office and supervising staff, consultants and contractors and ensuring IOM rules and regulations are respected and internal control measures in place to prevent any violations of IOM rules and regulations.
b) Monitoring and supervising the financial expenditures of the Sub-Office.
c) Ensuring payments and managing funds in compliance with relevant IOM policies and procedures.
- Supervise and coordinate IOM activities to ensure efficient and timely implementation of different project activities including but not limited to in areas of IDP needs assessments, Transition and Recovery Division (TRD), DTM, Site Management Support (SMS), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter and distribution of Non-food Items (NFI) items and capacity building for project partners, in close coordination with respective programme managers.
• Collaborate with the Migration Management Unit in ensuring the efficient and timely provision of protection and direct assistance to stranded and vulnerable migrants assisted through the temporary Migration Response Centre in Dire Dawa.
• Liaise with local government authorities and non-governmental actors in the area of migrant protection and assistance to ensure effective coordination of activities, provide information to and coordinate with IOM colleagues concerned in Addis Ababa whenever needed for timely addressing challenges encountered in project implementation.
- Provide logistical support to project partners working on refugee resettlement related assistance, in coordination with the local authorities and UNHCR.
- Be responsible to plan, lead and coordinate project activities and provide periodic and timely reporting on issues of importance to the CoM and other IOM colleagues concerned in Addis Ababa including those in Emergency and Post Crisis Unit (EPC), Operations Unit (Ops) and Migration Management Unit (MMU).
- Supervise the procurement and logistics work in the Sub-Office, including contracts with suppliers of goods and services. Work closely with the procurement and finance teams in Addis Ababa to ensure proper utilization of IOM resources.
- Reviewing and checking the bills and invoices from IOM contractors prior to payment by IOM. Negotiate with service providers to ensure cost-effective, convenient and safe distribution of humanitarian assistance items to IDPS and transportation services when carrying out IOM organized transportation activities.
- Follow up the developments of migration situations in the region and advise the CoM and other IOM colleagues concerned in Addis Ababa on project opportunities and project development for the region.
- Support and assist fundraising strategies, develop and maintain donor contacts at local level.
- Represent IOM at inter-agency or other relevant meetings in the region including meetings with local Government authorities, technical working group/cluster meetings.
- Receive and brief visitors from IOM donors or partners on IOM activities.
- Act as the security focal point for IOM staff in Dire Dawa and promote implementing IOM security requirements and relevant UNDSS requirements in the Sub-Office, participate in the Areas Security Management Team (ASMT) and keep close coordination with UNDSS for addressing security concerns wherever needed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Management, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in movement operations working with transport providers, governmental and diplomatic bodies, as well as with international organizations;
• Experience conducting United States Refugee Admissions Programme (USRAP) resettlement activities is an advantage as is previous participation in Movement Management Department (MMD) training sessions;
• Experience in the development and/or humanitarian sector at the international level dealing with refugee and migration assistance, emergencies and/or crisis and post-crisis settings, disaster risk management;
• Experience in providing assistance to migrants/refugees in need of protection services or direct assistance;
• In-depth knowledge of migrant assistance and resettlement operations.
• Knowledge or working experience in the East and Horn Africa in related area of responsibility;
• Good knowledge of project management and implementation, including managing teams and budgets as well as monitoring and evaluation;
• Work experience in the United Nations or development/humanitarian non-governmental organizations.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish, and/or a local language is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values– all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
•Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
•Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
•Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
•Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
•Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
•Accountability:takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
•Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Leadership:provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
•Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
•Strategic thinking and vision:works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 31 March 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to:www.iom.int/recruitment
From 18.03.2020 to 31.03.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2020 53 Head of Sub-Office (P3) Dire Dawa, Ethiopia (56368149) Released
Posting: Posting NC56368150 (56368150) Released