Otra Cosa Network| Huanchaco, La Libertad, Peru
**Breaking** Otra Cosa is still very much seeking to recruit volunteers to go to Peru. We understand this is a difficult time for all and there are currently some short-term travel restrictions in place. However, once this phase of the outbreak has passed, our beneficiaries in Peru will need your help more than ever, following these difficult times. So, please explore our projects, apply on this site or send us an e-mail with any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
The HELP Youth programme, which seeks to improve the lives of children and young people through our recreational youth space, the Skate Ramp. It is situated in the hills on the outskirts of Huanchaco town, in an area called Cerrito de la Virgen.
In Cerrito de la Virgen, the households exist on low incomes and parents are often working long hours, well after school finishes. This means that young children will often go hours without any adequate childcare or supervision as parents often lack the means to find someone to mind their children. During this unsupervised period, children will often gravitate towards unproductive activities to fill their time, with some even becoming involved in crime. There is a great need for stimulating activities for these children in order for them to have a safe childhood, which is what we aim our recreational space at the ramp will provide.
At the ramp, our volunteers are well equipped in providing a variety of activities such as environmental workshops, arts and crafts, English classes. We also have a small library with books and seating at the ramp which allows the children to advance their learning in their free time in both Spanish and English. These activities encourage children of all different ages both girls and boys to the ramp as it is not just a place to skate but also to learn and have fun with others.
The main tasks for volunteers include:
- Teaching skateboarding and games to the children. Levels of skating ability vary greatly and not all of the kids go to the ramp to skate. Other activities depend on what the volunteers organise, but include other sports (especially football and volleyball) and games, Lego, drawing and crafts such as making friendship bracelets.
- Instilling good values and reinforcing the importance of good manners. One of the most important elements of the volunteers’ work at the skate ramp is to provide a positive role model for the children. This includes encouraging them to share skate boards, to say please and thank you and to treat each other well.
- Looking after the facility: tidying-up, cleaning, basic repairs and ensuring proper care and maintenance.
- Bringing new ideas about how to improve the space and add new appealing features for children. Previous examples of this have included construction of new ramps/jumps, larger-scale repairs and painting murals.
Generally the skate ramp is open from Monday-Friday from 3pm-6pm. However, during the holiday periods (especially the summer holidays from late December until early March) the ramp can be open for longer hours, depending on volunteer availability.
The age range of the kids who come to the ramp is 3-17 years old, with the majority under 12 years old. In any one session there can be between 10-50 kids in total, with an average of 23. Not all of the children stay for the full three hours – some do, whilst others dip in and out.
- Age 18+
- Basic Spanish level. We can arrange classes for your arrival if you have no Spanish or need/want to boost your level.
- Minimum commitment: 4 weeks – the longer, the better.
- Able to cope with active streetwise children.
- Empathetic, responsible and open-mind personality.
- Volunteers should have some experience of teaching or working with or looking after children, and may be subjected to a full criminal record check.
- Leadership, being a team player and discipline are must for this position. Experience in skateboarding would be an advantage, but not mandatory.
How to Apply
For more information or to apply for the role, please email us at: email@example.com
You can also submit your application at the following website: http://otracosa.org/volunteer…