OXFAM IN Kenya
Annual Salary and Benefits
According to Oxfam in Kenya Salary Scale
Internal Job Grade
Director – Operations
Staff reporting to this post
None directly but strong leadership and oversight role with field office HR officers, in collaboration with Programme Strategists
Nairobi, with occasional national travel to remote locations and occasional International travel
EUR 5000 with additional responsibility for indirect oversight of HR related costs
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty
To advise on and, implement the full range of human resource strategies necessary to support effective people management across Oxfam in Kenya Programme. To ensure human resource management contributes, and is aligned to Oxfam in Kenya Programme strategic goals.
· As a member of the CMT, lead/participate in strategic discussions and planning relating to the direction and progress of the whole country programme. Contributing input and ideas beyond the strict technical realm of own department.
· Engage and lead in operational planning needed to meet strategic needs in the organisation.
· Act as a model to other staff of good practice, beyond confines of technical tasks.
· Representation to external actors including other agencies, HR fora, and Government.
HR Business Process Management
o Provide Health and Safety advice and to proactively carry out risk assessments, including issues around staff health and welfare.
o Provide leadership and manage the Kenya Programme recruitment and induction processes in collaboration with the programme teams and the shared service HR as applicable.
o Analyze recruitment trend and explore creative solutions to recruitment challenges.
o Implement strategic HR initiatives within the programme in consultation with relevant stakeholders and originating and authorization of transaction process within Shared service Unit.
o Liaise with the Shared Service unit (SSU) Human Resource Manager to ensure timely and efficient delivery of Kenya programme HR transactional processes.
o Ensuring proper end of contracts entitlements are properly maintained according to Oxfam procedures.
Rewards and Benefits
o Advice staff and managers on reviewing, implementing and monitoring rewards and benefits as per OGB policies and practices.
o Manage the annual pay and benefits review process in compliance with legal requirements and Oxfam’s policies and ensure the rewards and benefits are market competitive to attract and retain talented and diverse workforce.
o Manage the job evaluation and job profiles process in the programme.
o Work closely with line management in recruitment and selection
o Provide leadership and manage the Kenya recruitment and induction processes in collaboration with the programme Teams and the HR manager SSU as applicable
o Preparedness for emergency scale up
o Prepare annual budget for HR & function
o Provide forecasts on budget and explore cost saving approaches/measures
o Monitor and realign budget as required.
o Prepare quarterly management reports in addition reports on various HR process e.g. Health & Safety.
o Oversee the management of HR records in accordance with Oxfam GB standards across the programme
OI Single Management structure
o Work with RHRM to ensure a smooth change process within OGB
Organizational Development 35%
· Provide leadership on HR issues related to change management as necessary.
· Support line managers in change management, restructuring, team building, and addressing organizational challenges through diagnosing issues and sourcing resources for OD interventions.
· Supporting partners in OD.
· Collect, analyze and interpret information about changes in the operational environment and identify key HR issues for management’s attention.
Learning and Development
o Develop with CMT an annual country learning and development plan and lead on the implementation of this plan.
o Assist managers at all levels with ability to carry though performance development plans.
o Develop and implement Training needs analysis within the programme.
o Work with managers on improved Performance management processes, including the timely implementation of performance management reviews and objective setting within organisational deadlines; supporting managers to be able to comfortably manage good and bad performance.
o Facilitate and promote pick up and go kits.
o Support line managers in developing and implementing people planning, succession planning and workforce planning.
o Capacity building of Oxfam Kenya HR staff as well as partner staff. Ensuring partner HR staff are able to meet minimum standards as required by our donors as well as helping them maintain their HR manuals and help them develop where none exists.
o Develop capacities of HR teams and line managers in HR business processes across the programme.
o Advice staff and managers on application of performance management system, refresher trainings, advise on managing poor and outstanding performance, and linking performance review to annual increments and learning and development.
o With the senior management team and line managers ensure that performance management is implemented effectively.
HR Policy/ Strategy and Employment Law: 25%
· Provide leadership on alignment, customization, interpretation & implementation of HR policy, staff handbook and practices.
· Advise Line Managers and HR staff on HR business processes.
· Implement agreed HR best practice – managing risks related to all areas of relevant statutory requirements including labour laws.
· Collect, analyse and interpret information about changes in the operational environment and identify key HR issues for management’s attention.
· Working with the Staff Association on liaison, dialogue, communication and understanding of policies, and on the implementation of pay reviews.
o Point of contact for staff, managers and AOSA regarding roles of management and AOSA.
o Primary contact focal point in dealing with Kenya staff concerns regarding contractual obligation, terms and conditions.
o Play HR roles adequately with management in employee consultations.
o Advisory roles in disciplinary procedures and grievances including conducting investigations if requested by management.
Gender and diversity
o Working closely with other Managers to ensure gender is mainstreamed within team and initiating practical steps to improve the recruitment, retention and organisational attitude to-further women within Oxfam GB.
o Help drive and inspire new and different approaches towards women’s’ empowerment within Oxfam.
o Monitoring PSEA / anti harassment policies and building awareness among staff.
Technical Skills, and Knowledge
· Professional/Technical qualifications – Undergraduate/Post Graduate in Business Administration or HRM and professional qualification in Human Resource Management.
· Demonstrable people management skills.
· Adaptable in approach to work with a willingness to work under pressure in a demanding environment.
· Initiative and ability to work independently and develop solutions to problems.
· Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to diverse HR/Admin problems.
· A good communicator with strong written and reporting skills.
· Competent in the use of computers especially word, excel, internet.
· Able to support and influence others
· Ability to forge effective working relationships at all levels.
· Drive and determination to ensure that the HR perspective is considered at all levels
· Commitment to working in a team
· Commitment to and ability to promote Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies.
· Understanding of the complexities of working in a multicultural environment.
· Specialist knowledge of HR and business issues and human resources policy and practice.
· Knowledge of employee legal responsibility – employment law, tax laws, etc.
· Minimum of 3 years working experience in HR and a good track record of strong HR Management and systems experience.
· Experience of leading or supporting change management.
· Experience in dealing with government departments on issues of visas, registration, tax, movement of personnel etc.