ABOUT HUMAN APPEAL:
Human Appeal (HA) is a British humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organisation that works in 25 countries around the world since 1991. Human Appeal has been operating in Iraq since 2016. Human Appeal Iraq’s country office is in Erbil with sub-offices in Mosul and Aana.
Main Job Purpose
To enable the delivery a professional and efficient HR function at local Field Office level. Covering all aspects from: projects, HR systems, files management, recruitment cycle, employee relations and best practice in line with Human Appeal ethos, legislation and audit requirements. All in order to ensure delivery of Human Appeal’s HR strategy in line with HA iraq Mission..
Key Result Indicator
• Work to imbed HR best practices across the Field Office, providing guidance, support and flexible solutions to both SMT & Staff with guidance from the HQ.
• Share insights into HR reportings for informed management decision-making.
• Support HA’s managers on the delivery of core HR processes and the implementation of HR projects.
• Personnel file management, maintaining up to date employee records to audit standards.
• Support timely resolution to employment relations cases
• Manage administration of the employment cycle from recruitment and new-starter processes to staff promotion and leaver processes.
• Ensure best practice in line with Human Appeal values, health and safety, labor law and compliance.
• Responsible of the full recruitment cycle; placing job ads, liaising with recruitment agencies, preparing a shortlist of candidates, arranging interviews, issuing offer letters and employee contracts and undertaking all required pre-employment checks, ensuring all new-starter paperwork is completed.
• Provide payroll support by collating monthly Payroll updates, liaising with the Finance department for updates, making necessary benefits/deduction calculations to ensure a smooth Payroll process so that staff are paid correctly and on time.
• Administer starter / leaver processes by managing all documentation requests for interviews, induction, contracts, exit interviews, and equipment in a timely manner to ensure smooth running of the recruitment cycle, delivery of business needs, employee satisfaction and best practice.
• Draft and administer all aspects of employee documentation by submitting changes to employee terms and conditions, maternity, paternity, pensions etc., to ensure employee and employer needs are met.
• Effectively monitor, maintain and update employee personnel data and files including hard copy files, such as training records, holidays, absences, timesheets, appraisals, employee feedback etc. to ensure compliance in line with audits and accurate employee records for internal use.
• Support the HR function at UK Head Office with the development and implementation of projects as required by actively participating in planning and implementing of projects such as Employee conferences, rebranding new systems to contribute to the continued growth of the charity and establish an efficient and lean HR function.
• Act as a point of contact for incoming queries, signposting to appropriate stakeholders and escalating Employee Relations issues to UK Office where appropriate.
• Maintain own continuing professional development by keeping up to date with legal requirements and relevant HR developments to ensure charity is compliant with changing legislation and responsive to social-economic requirements.
• To work with, manage or supervise volunteers and interns.
• Promote good working practices and maintain a professional working environment that delivers excellence and compliance by; maintaining confidentiality of information, compliance and Data Protection, adhering to HA’s Health, Safety and Environmental Policy at all times, and adhering at all times to best practice, employment law, global code of conduct, policy and procedure.
• Advice and support line managers on the management of their teams to maximize business performance. The advice given should be practical, sensible and in line with HA’s Employee Relations approach, should be based on a sound knowledge of employment legislation and internal policies, and should enable the manager to achieve their aim whilst being considerate of the emotional and cultural impact on the employee(s) and those around them, and the reputational impact to HA.
• Case manage employee relations activity i.e. absence, grievance, disciplinary etc., from advising managers on the optimal approach, and supporting them through to a successful outcome.
• Manage feedback process to enable greater employee engagement and retention of existing employees; determine and improve feedback process and pass on relevant feedback to respective directors and managers, and identify trends across the organization, turning this into suggested actions/areas for attention.
• Deliver and continuously improve the HR functions alongside the UK HR team, and review and implement developments, continuously reviewing and improving manager and employee accessibility to policies and associated guidance.
NB – Employee duties are not limited only to the above-mentioned accountabilities; he/she may perform other duties as assigned.
Position Relationship with Other Parties
Internal Relationships External Relationships
All HA employees Iraq office
UK People and Culture department
Best practice organizations
HR service providers (e.g. benchmarking)
Public/private organizations, Employers(references)
Level of Authority
• Execute Assigned Duties
• Providing advice from existing guidelines and established protocol.
• Minor Judgement Within Guidelines
• Responsible for a budget
Annual Amount TBC
Hiring Authority & Promotion
• Coaching new employees
• May approve new hires
• Supervise Junior staff
• Does participate in the promotion cycle from an HR perspective
• Conduct Technical Interview
• Adapts and responds positively to change with a willingness to learn. Supports new initiatives while making use of presented opportunities.
• Focusses on stakeholder satisfaction and delivers a quality service or product to the agreed standards. Takes measures to maintain standards while achieving goals.
• Supports others and shows respect and positive regard for them in social situations. Puts people first, working effectively with individuals, teams, clients and staff.
• Takes control and exercises leadership through positive actions. Empowers others through development, feedback and increased responsibility.
• Successfully persuades and influences others by promoting and defending new ideas. Guides conversations and works to change the mindset of all stakeholders.
• Communicates and networks effectively while responding to the changing environment quickly, being both clear and concise in message delivery.
• Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organized way. Sets clear objectives and monitors progress, changing priorities when needed to meet deadlines.
• Degree educated, ideally in a related discipline, e.g. Human Resources / Business Studies
• Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar role Experience
• Computer literate and proficient in MS Office Suite and Computer Skills
• Excellent written and spoken Arabic and Kurdish. Ability to communicate in English to at least an Intermediate level. Additional languages a bonus
How to apply
To apply for this position, please follow the link below: