Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
HSS/Capacity Building Advisor, Health Services Delivery Activity
Burkina Faso Main
Health Services Delivery (HSD) Activity – Burkina Faso will contribute directly to the overarching goals of RISE II by improving access to quality health services and strengthening ownership and management of health services by communities, in partnership with citizens, local government, and service providers. HSD seeks to build off of the successes of RISE I and incorporate key lessons learned to achieve greater impacts on health, family planning and nutrition outcomes and enhance the sustainability of institutions and interventions both at national and peripheral levels.
HSS/Capacity Building Advisor:
The HSS/Capacity Building Advisor will provide technical leadership to all capacity building and health systems strengthening activities for the project. He/she will lead the design and delivery of training, capacity building, and performance-oriented interventions to move institutions along the journey to self-reliance. This position ensures a seamless link between service delivery interventions and systems development. He/she will be knowledgeable of the functions and organization of the government, local organizations, and their capacity gaps. He/she will advise the COP and the project team on HSS matters related to the program and manage staff in this respect, if any. He/she will work closely with government officials and local NGO partners.
This position is based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and is contingent on funding; this position is subject to USAID approvals.
* Minimum Master’s degree in health policy and administration, health sector development, public health or related field.
* Minimum seven (7) years of relevant, senior-level professional experience managing and implementing health systems strengthening and capacity building programs in the areas listed above with a minimum of (5) years’ experience in sub-Saharan Africa. Experience in working with marginal populations and relief-to-development settings preferred.
* Expertise in developing the financial and functional capacity of organizations to improve sustainability and familiarity with a wide range of capacity building techniques.
* Five (5) years demonstrated experience in managing and supervising a team and project design.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level.
* Prior experience in West Africa, particularly in Burkina Faso, is preferred.
* Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral proficiency in English and French
* Prior experience in Francophone West Africa is strongly preferred.
* Provide hands-on technical support to strengthen human and health systems capacity and resources from the national to local levels.
* Lead, coordinate and execute capacity building intervention plans throughout the project to ensure that identified organizations are moving along the journey to self-reliance and become eligible for direct donor assistance.
* Lead and coordinate design of multisectorial groups linking government and local groups at the community level.
* Implement technical assistance in a manner that leads to adoption and sustainable use of tools and approaches by building awareness of current gaps, achieving buy-in on the viability and need for appropriate tools or approaches, and training staff on the use of these tools or approaches.
*Carry out and monitor strategies to identify and address technical gaps and health system vulnerabilities and ensure improved performance over the life of the program:this will include but will not be limited to institutional capacity assessments.
* Develop practical and sustainable tools to strengthen health systems components in marginal areas including management and local level planning, supportive supervision, facility and community-based referral networks, resource mobilization and allocation, budgeting and promoting the use of data for decision making and program enhancement.
* Travel throughout the region to supervise the implementation and ensure overall quality of all project training activities, including preparation and post-training follow-up.
* Identify potential trainers for roll out of training strategies. Facilitate training of trainer’s workshops, and other performance improvement interventions as needed.
* Monitor and evaluate capacity building activities in collaboration with the M&E Advisor.
* Coordinate with the Director of Finance to ensure there is sufficient funding for all capacity building activities.
* Develop reports and communications on capacity building activities as requested.
* Initiate, establish and maintain collaborative relationships with government counterparts, implementing partner organizations, beneficiary communities and key stakeholders to ensure broad programmatic impact and results.
* Provide support to operationalize health policies, ensure client responsive services and optimal use of government and donor resources.
* Collaborate with local government officials, international and multilateral organizations, the private sector, NGOs and civil society representatives to mobilize commitment and support for health systems strengthening.
Please Note:This position is contingent upon USAID’s approval, project award and funding.
To apply, please go tohttps://www.pathfinder.org/about-us/join-our-team/
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.