Human Rights Defenders Emergency Support Grants to Individuals
Human Rights Defenders Emergency Support Grants to Individuals at risk; ProtectDefenders.eu provides 24/7 support to Human Rights Defenders facing immediate risk through the emergency helpline run by Front Line Defenders.
The hotline works at any hour and any day and gives the option to be forwarded to someone speaking Arabic, English, French, Russian or Spanish who will be able to mobilise rapid international support and action.
Through its partners, ProtectDefenders.eu undertakes urgent actions, which can include faxed or phoned appeals to the relevant authorities, raising the case through the EU or individual government representatives, practical help with temporary relocation or assistance with medical or legal expenses.
The applications for emergency support grants to individuals at risk are evaluated on a case by case basis and considering the criteria of identity, situation and needs as follows:
- The applicant is a human rights defender working for human rights in accordance with the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders;
- The applicant is facing risks because of his/her human rights work;
- The applicant needs urgent support (lack of access to alternative sources of support will be taken into account).
- No EU funded grant will exceed 10,000 € The different partner organisations may also apply additional criteria or limits.The list of types of activities eligible for emergency financial and material support to Human Rights Defenders at risk includes:
- Physical security;
- Digital security;
- Capacity building in security;
- Secure transportation;
- Legal support;
- Medical support (including psycho-social support and rehabilitation);
- Humanitarian assistance (including family support);
- Urgent relocation;
- Urgent monitoring, reporting and advocacy;
- OtherApplications Accepted All Year Round!
For more information and application details, see; Human Rights Defenders Emergency Support Grants to Individuals