COOPI is looking for a Head of Programme in Syria
COOPI is active with its humanitarian action in Syria (Damascus) since 2017 with a Food Security/Livelihood project in Rural Damascus (Qtana) and it’s currently implementing prorgrams in Food Security and Livelihood and Protection in Rural Damascus, Dara’ and Aleppo Governorates COOPI is aiming at developing its country programme with particular focus to its commitment in the Food Security/Livelihood and Protection Sectors along with integrated WASH and Education interventions.
Purpose of the role
The Head of Programme (HoP):
- is the focal point of COOPI’s program in Syria;
- in consultation with the Head of Mission (HoM), he/she formulates the strategy for the mission and ensures it implementation in accordance with COOPI policies, donor expectation, local and international legislation;
- coordinates and evaluates all aspects of the COOPI projects, and facilitates the flow of information from the field to the capital;
- plays a strategic role for COOPI’s external relationships, liaising with donors and stakeholders in collaboration with the HoM;
- is responsible and direct manages FSL program (currently funded by ECHO, AICS and OCHA), and she/he supervises Protection program (currently funded by UNCHR and OCHA);
- will be based full-time in Damascus (with periodic field visits to monitor programs);
- will act as a Deputy-Head of Mission with reference to the representativeness and with responsibility of ensuring the Security plan.
We encourage international staff already in the country to apply.
Country strategy’s supervision and development
- Contributing to the design, development and update of the country program strategy under supervision of the Head of Mission and in coordination with the project managers;
- Contributing to the design, development and update of the country program business development under supervision of the Head of Mission and in coordination with the project managers;
- Design, development and update of M&E system at country, program and project level in coordination with project managers and under the supervision of HoM;
- Monitoring and reviewing the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis and inform HoM and program staff;
- Contributing to the identification of potential funding opportunities.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with relevant stakeholders and representing COOPI at relevant state level meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships;
- Ensuring information-sharing with IOs, NGOs and Government.
Programs’ implementation & development
- Ensuring objectives and results are met within the required time frame and budget and according to COOPI and donors’ procedures;
- Taking preventative and corrective action when necessary;
- Ensuring and supervising the overall planning and follow-up of technical reporting for donors, authorities and internal requirements in coordination with the support departments;
- Ensuring synergy between Program and Support services;
- Ensuring the implementation of recommendations resulting from internal audit, experts’ field visits, HQ advisors etc;
- Piloting the internal quality control, by promoting monitoring mechanisms (ex: self-evaluation tool), facilitating internal control and external evaluations;
- Supporting the project team for proposals writing (narrative and financial) to address the identified needs;
- Activity planning and management in compliance with the contracts signed with the donors and with COOPI and the donor’s procedures;
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of all formal communication and contract modifications requests (ex. budget modification) of the projects he manages;
- He/she writes and prepares all necessary documents to present new projects, in accordance with the organization’s processes and procedures, to new and current donors.
Aministration/finance and HR
- Administrative and financial management and regularly monitoring of expenditures;
- He/she supervises accounting and the project cash safe/bank account management;
- He/she ensures the preparation, in compliance with the deadlines, of all financial and narrative reports;
- He/she is responsible for the initial and continuous training of the local staff under his/her responsibility.
- He/she ensures the organization and donor’s procedures respect when purchasing goods and services;
- He/she is responsible of the correct management of all goods purchased for the projects, both directly and purchased by other offices/field offices;
- For all goods purchased by the project he/she updates the inventory, in cooperation with the Administrative staff.
- He/she cooperates with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fund raising activities implemented in and for the country.
- University degree relevant subject;
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in project formulation, implementation and coordination in the humanitarian context with International NGOs;
- Experience in working with different Donors (ECHO, USAID, UN agencies etc.);
- Strong managerial skills;
- Good knowledge of humanitarian standard and background;
- Good report writing skills;
- Good knowledge and use of English language;
- Advanced IT skills.
- Proactive aptitude in terms of planning and coordination with different bodies, institutions and Reference Points;
- Target oriented and problem-solving aptitude;
- Good leadership skills, aimed at managing and motivating a team;
- Positive ability to bear stressful and complicated situations;
- Diplomatic and confientiality skills;
- Previous experience in the Region.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.