Training Agency:IDEAL Public Health and Development Consultancy
Registration deadline:07 Nov 2018
Training date:12 Nov 2018to16 Nov 2018
Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) related diseases contribute to high mortality and morbidity rates in emergency and post-emergency situations. Even in the absence of an emergency, diarrhoea kills over 30,000 children per week worldwide. During protracted war and conflict in particular diarrhoeal diseases can often kill more people than the conflict itself.
Hygiene and Sanitation Promotionis the centerpiece to a successful WASH intervention in emergency contexts. Effective hygiene and sanitation promotion is based on dialogue and interaction with affected communities; working in partnership with them forms the basis for successful and accountable programming.
Better emergency response in public health is achieved through better preparedness. Such preparedness is the result of targeted capacity building and knowledge development by governments, humanitarian agencies, local and civil society organizations, communities and individuals to anticipate and respond effectively towards emergency sistautions. It is upon this premise thatIDEAL Public Health and Development Consultancy (IPHDC)has organized a training to build the capacity of key humanitarian actors on effective hygiene and sanitation promotion in emergencies.
Who should attend this training?
Programme staff of humanitarian and development agencies (UN, government and non-governmental agencies) including project managers, officers and assistants working in the WASH sector.
What are the key aspects of the training?
- Concepts of hygiene and sanitation promotion in emergency settings;
- Key hygiene and sanitation standards and monitoring indicators in emergencies (e.g. SPHERE standards);
- Tools and methods for hygiene and sanitation promotion in emergencies;
- Planning, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation of hygiene and sanitation promotion in emergencies;
- Practical facilitation skills through in-house simulation activities and field activities.
What are the main training objectives?
The following objectives are planned to be achieved by the end of the training:
- To build the capacity of trainees to impart knowledge to communities in emergency situations on prevention of diarrhoeal diseases and other WASH-related diseases;
- To equip trainees with practical skills for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of hygiene and sanitation promotion in emergency contexts;
- To introduce trainees to key hygiene and sanitation standards and monitoring indicators in emergencies (e.g. SPHERE);
- To equip trainees with community mobilization skills for hygiene and sanitation promotion in emergency setting.
What learning approach and language will be used in the training?
The entire training will be facilitated in English (with French translation if needed). A balanced combination of various adult-learning facilitation paradigms will be used including exploratory learning, group discussions, plenary brainstorming, facilitator’s input, case studies and video documentaries among others.
When is the training period?
12th to 16th November 2018
Inquiry on the course
For more information, send an email email@example.com call+254 (20) 2345572.
You can also download our course programme on this link:http://www.iphdcinternational.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2018-Traini…
The training cost is US$ 550 which will cover the tuition fees and learning materials.