Role: Information Systems Engineer
Job No: ISE0818
Location: Southampton, UK
Start date: Immediate
Reporting to: Senior Data Engineer
Flowminder is seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and knowledgeable Information Systems Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. While the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work across a range of areas, the Information Systems Engineer will play a central role in the continuous improvement of information systems across an international organisation. As such, the successful candidate will have the awesome opportunity to work with a diverse and cross-functional team of developers, academics, and data scientists. Ultimately, the Information Systems Engineer will take ownership of technical projects related to the ongoing development and implementation of Flowminder’s IT Service Management and Information Security programmes.
A resourceful problem solver, you will be comfortable digging into a problem, whether it means looking for guidance online or asking colleagues for support. You will have experience of handling sensitive data and maintaining relevant security standards. You will be comfortable communicating technical updates and requests to a wider project team. You will enjoy the variety of tasks at hand, adjusting quickly between varying degrees of autonomy and persevering even when it seems like all possibilities have been exhausted. Of course, you won’t do it all alone — instead, you’ll find yourself in excellent company, well-supported by your colleagues’ diverse skills, experience, and knowledge.
Ideally, you will have some experience of agile working in a challenging open-source environment. You will also care deeply about making a positive difference to those most in need.
Supporting Information Management across Flowminder, for a variety of data types:
- Organisational data (finance, HR, GSuite)
- Client/partner data (geospatial, survey, Mobile Network Operator) Project data
Supporting the implementation and continuous improvement of:
- Flowminder Data Governance, including implementing security standards for the handling of data at rest, in transit, and in use
- Flowminder Information Security Management System
- Flowminder’s Systems Development Life Cycle
Supporting the workflow of:
- Developers during the software development cycle
- Analysts over the course of projects
- Software development team to advise on secure coding standards (rules, guidelines, conformance testing etc) and to better understand how our systems can be further developed or automated.
We are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in systems engineering or a related discipline
- A strong interest in systems security
- Vulnerability management
- Infrastructure and application security
- Container security
- Scanning and penetration testing
- Infrastructure management
- Including development of tooling
- Infrastructure-as-code (ansible, puppet, chef)
- System administration (Unix, Windows)
- Virtualization (VMware, VirtualBox)
- Bash, Python
- Cloud computing (Google Compute Engine, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure)
- On the path to CISSP certification
- Familiarity with the core ISO27k standards
- Information risk and security management principles
- Familiarity with EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Knowledge of authentication systems
Flowminder is an award-winning, non-profit organisation funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, DFID, EU, World Bank, IDB, WFP, UN Foundation and others.
Flowminder’s mission is to improve public health and welfare in low- and middle-income countries using data from mobile operators, satellites and geo-located household surveys. Flowminder has pioneered a number of new approaches and tools to address development and humanitarian challenges, among them the use of mobile operator data. Much of its work is focused on understanding, monitoring and predicting the distributions, characteristics and dynamics of human populations, providing insights, tools and capacity building to governments, international agencies and NGOs. Flowminder works to ensure that everyone, especially the most vulnerable, count.
Deadline for applications: until filled
Interviews are expected to take place in Southampton.
Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single .pdf file, with the file name containing your last name. Please submit both via email at careers+ISE081809@flowminder.org.
Your cover letter should explain how your previous experience relates to the responsibilities outlined in the job advert. Please also include your eligibility to work in the UK and your expected availability to start.
We recruit the best people and acknowledge the unique contribution that all potential candidates can bring in terms of their education, experiences, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, gender, nationality, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
We regret that we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. We will not be accepting candidates from unapproved recruitment agencies.