Organization:International Organization for Migration
Position Title :Intern – Programme Unit
Duty Station :Antananarivo, Madagascar
Classification :Intern, Grade OTHEType of Appointment :Internship, Six MonthsEstimated Start
Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :16 October 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leadingUN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Madagascar became a member of IOM in 2001. Main activities in country to date have related to the preparation of National Migration Profile, assistance to vulnerable migrants, as well as provision of technical support and advisory to the Government of Madagascar (GoM) in the fields of Counter-trafficking, Labour Migration, Migration, Environment and Climate Change, Diaspora engagement, Immigration and Border Management, and Community Stabilization/DTM. As IOM deepens its partnerships with a number of Ministries, public entities, United Nations Agencies, and NGOs in Madagascar, the Mission seeks to recruit an Intern to support its programme Unit. The Mission of IOM in Madagascar also spearheads activities and representation of IOM to the Union of Comoros and the Seychelles.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will be tasked to assist him in the preparation and implementation of the activities and programmes led by the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:In particular, the successful candidate will be responsible to:
- Provide support to the Chief of Mission, and to the other Staff members of the Programme Unit in the implementation of their daily responsibilities.
- Assist in the preparation, organization, and facilitation of workshops and other meetings held by the Mission in relation to the implementation of its activities and programmes
- Participate in technical meetings, working groups, workshops, and other coordination meetings related to the implementation of IOM activities and programmes; and/or to IOM’s partnerships with the Government of Madagascar, civil society organizations, the United Nations, or the diplomatic community.
- Prepare notes and background documents, on topics that relate to activities and programmes implemented by the Mission.
- Assist in the development, promotion of- and fund-raising activities for the IOM Country Strategy 2019 – 2022 with donors in Madagascar.
- Assist in leading the day to day implementation of the Country Communication Strategy.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Completed university degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations/Development, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with focus on project development, communication and advocacy would be an advantage.
• Familiarity with migration-related topics;
• Advanced French and English writing, communication skills;
• Ability to quickly and effectively collect, analyze and present data;
• Computer/software literate, preferably knowledgeable in Microsoft Office.
Fluency in English is required. A good knowledge of French would be advantageous.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;
encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Training Components and Learning Elements
It is estimated that the successful candidate will gain knowledge in the following areas:
• Communication and public information
He/she will also gain on-site and field experience in working in an international multi-cutlural environment, with an intergovernmental organization.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional queries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
• Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset costs; please consider the cost of living in Madagascar prior to applying.
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
• No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 October 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 03.10.2018 to 16.10.2018
Requisition: INT 2018/27 – Intern – Programme Unit (55677167) Released
Posting: Posting NC55677194 (55677194) Released