IOM works in the five broad areas of migration management: migration and development, facilitating migration, regulating migration, addressing forced migration, and the implications of climate change on migration. Cross‐cutting activities include the promotion of international migration law, policy debate and guidance, protection of migrants’ rights, migration health and the gender dimension of migration. The key responsibility of the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) is to formulate regional strategies and plans of action and to provide programmatic and administrative support to the countries within its region. Several Regional Thematic Units are based at the ROAP to fulfill this responsibility.
The Asia-Pacific Regional Data Hub (RDH) aspires to reference a comprehensive set of such data, including information on migration trends, stocks and flows in the Asia-Pacific region. The regional data hub aims to support evidence-based strategic and policy level discussion on migration through a combined set of initiatives including strengthening of regional primary and secondary data collection and analysis; increasing Information management capacity across countries; providing technical support to ensure harmonization and interoperability of key methodologies and tools used to monitor population mobility; and the engagement of key stakeholders and governmental counterparts in migration dialogue and consultation.
The successful candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Support in research, analyse, and report on migration and displacement data in the Asia-Pacific region. Carry out extensive analyses of the datasets collected.
- Contribute to the design and management of databases and information systems (including geographical databases and geographical information encoding).
- Conduct data verification, triangulation and validation through multiple sources, both primary and secondary (including media monitoring, local authorities, network of key informants).
- Support ad hoc thematic research, design survey methodologies, and monitor field operations of data collection efforts. Contribute to regional reports; support with literature / desk review.
- Support in Liaison with other UN agencies, academic institutions, think tanks, and collaborating partners with regards to mixed migration research efforts, tools and methodologies. Assist in the coordination of internal and external Regional Data Hub capacity-building initiatives.
- Assist in the coordination of internal and external Data Hub capacity-building initiatives.
- Work together with the RDH team , in particular with the RDH-IM and provide support research, analyse and evaluate new applications related to information systems, to new technologies and processes to manage information in response to migration crises and make recommendations for their utilization.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to ROBangkokHR@iom.int . Please include the reference code ROBKK-CFA 2020-117 followed by your full name in the subject line and mention your preferred duration as mention above.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Duly completed IOM Personal History Form
(can be downloaded from http://thailand.iom.int/);
- 2-3 writing samples, optional (relevant topic of your choice).